HispanicHeritageMonth: 19 Research Universities Committed to Serving Hispanic Students (HSRU)

Schools like Arizona State University, Florida International University, Texas Tech University, The University of Illinois at Chicago, or UC Irvine are committed to serving Hispanic students.

The article below looks at a list of 19 schools that are members of The Alliance of Hispanic Serving Research Universities. The HSRU is a group of 20 universities working to increase opportunities for Hispanic and Latinx students. The goals of the HSRU are to double the number of Hispanic doctoral students enrolled in the 20 universities and to increase the Hispanic professoriate at those universities by 20%.

Check out the full list here:

2 Likes

Well I am glad that these universities are proactively making efforts to increase the Hispanic graduate populations at the schools. When I was in grad school, seeing other Hispanic men/women was uncommon.

I was on the road in gaining my PhD, and all I had to do was to complete my dissertation and a couple of courses. But truthfully, by the time I got to that level, I was tired of being in school and being broke.

Everyone around me was already working in the field. Then, when I found out what the pay was, to become a professor with a PhD, I did better in the private sector.

It’s great that they want to provide fellowships and financial incentives to get us to stay, but when you start from humble beginnings and limited income, there’s a point when you want to be able to support your family and yourself. I didn’t mind riding my bike to school or taking public transportation and transferring several times but as I got older it would’ve been nice to have a car and to be able to pay for auto insurance.

I’m grateful for the education that I received. My university isn’t listed, but I know they’ve made huge strides in recruiting and retaining, not only Hispanic undergrad and graduate students, but also other URM’s. My university isn’t listed on this list but I think they’re already doing a lot.

I have been actively recruited to go on the faculties of several universities countrywide, but honestly, why would I want to if the private sector is paying me well, and I really don’t want deal with another hierarchy for pay and seniority.

Would I make a good professor? I think my graduate students who interned with me would say yes. I tend to instruct with honesty, directness and humor. Would I have been able to support myself and my parents with my pay? No, not for at least 20 years.

5 Likes

I think the title is misleading. It is great that the Alliance is focused on increasing the number of Hispanic grad students and professors. There are many more Hispanic Serving Institutions for undergraduates.

1 Like