Hockey Recruit Advice

[quote=“Canuckdad, post:39, topic:3621984”]
Playing Junior hockey for a year is likely what my son will do. It is a snake pit however. There are kids there who have no college ambitions and some who do. The junior teams can be unscrupulous in how they treat players and just want cash and don’t care about next steps after.
[/quote
Good assessment of the Jr. Hockey! The way some Jr programs treat kids/players is terrible.
Being a Dad of a higher level hockey player you have a good handle on the hockey path. Some of the analogies here for college recruiting with other sports may not apply for hockey. Most sports, especially for the D3 route, do not require PGs and/or Jrs. like hockey typically does. Unlike other sports, for NCAA hockey there are a somewhat limited # of programs, with no NCAA D2 College Hockey. Plus unlike some of the other sports, many of the stronger D3 hockey programs are not top academic schools.
Wishing your son a good season and good luck in the future!

The US coaches want to recruit players who are better than the ones they already have. Playing time isn’t guaranteed, not even for recruits who received a slot or full support during the admissions process. Some players’ first-year roster spots aren’t even guaranteed.

1 Like

This thread is a bit dated and I’m not a hockey parent (and boy does recruiting in hockey seem complicated), but I thought this was super interesting for anyone who finds this a little later - someone manages a database of NESCAC hockey recruits by year with an extraordinary amount of information.