Hokie Focus April 8 and 9, 2017

We had a great visit. The entire day was perfect. Will write more later when I have a moment.

We attended the Sunday Hokie Focus – our first visit to VT. Very impressed – terrific campus that scales small, nice facilities, welcoming students, food as advertised. And we have been pleased with how VT has handled the application process to this point – informative, responsive, timely. One concern from the weekend – we thought the Pamplin School could have done a little more to sell what it can do for the student, describe what VT offers that might be unique – such as a focus on undergraduate teaching, benefit of direct admit, comparative strength of career services, power of alumni network. Instead, the presentation was a bit underwhelming. We found that the presentations at some other schools – e.g., McIntire at UVA and Farmer at Miami – really made the case for why a student should choose them. After the formal presentation, we spoke to some students in the major of interest (finance), and they were great – they gave us a very favorable impression of Pamplin and hearing their experience was reassuring. VT has a lot to offer, but our knowledge of Pamplin is still limited – wondering if folks on this thread had a similar observation during Hokie Focus or have other thoughts on Pamplin. Good luck to all still making decisions over the next couple of weeks!

I posted Pamplin impressions from Sunday’s Hokie Focus in the Pamplin thread if anyone is interested.

@STEM2017 We have Mellow Mushroom in our town. So theres a taste of home for my hokie…

The first Mellow Mushroom I ever noticed was in Charlottesville. I didn’t realize it was a chain but their website shows lots of locations.

Mellow - fun spot. Lots of students having a good time. They had Guinness - they get 4 stars from me!