HOLD EVERYTHING. I might have to un-hate Pat Murphy

<p>I know that soccer scholarships in both D1 and D2 can be full or partial. It is up to each individual school to decide how to allocate the money to players. And that can change on a yearly basis.</p>

<p>Aphimommy - I feel your pain with concussions. My dd had a severe concussion last year January. Dove to make a save and collided w/ a goal post and knocked out fully. She lost the ability to read, comprehend, etc. Took 6 months to come back. Until that happened I had no idea how serious concussions were. That is scary stuff…hope your son recovered fully!</p>

<p>Buzy…we should talk. The final concussion was the “nail in the coffin” so to speak. It ended with a sub-dural bleed that thankfully was absorbed. We however spent 3 months in and out of Children’s Mercy. He still has some processing and memory issues, 3 years later. The final concussion was number 7 ( in a 12 year span) and by far the worst. Strapped to a backboard, helmet cut off with bolt cutters, couldn’t move his legs…all very scary stuff! They told us it would take 6 years before we would be able to asses what the final damage would be. He had to give up his scholarship to play football (not that we would ever let him play again!) and we had to do a 360 in a short matter of time. He is doing well in school but one of the side effects of a sever concussion can be anxiety and depression. A good friend of ours who is a football coach warned us of this (his son who was a soccer player had also had multiple concussions and ultimately tried to commit suicide!) When DS began getting upset and frustrated at the end of his freshman year of college we aced fast and it was a good thing.He is a rising senior now and is talking about going to Grad school. He was just here for a few days and we talked a lot about how much he misses playing…I felt so bad…we all shed a few tears. His good friend is the starting Left Tackle at Oklahoma and we really thought DS had what it takes to really go some where ( he was All State two years in a row, could play any position on the O’line, 6’3 290). Apparently God has other plans for him. We are trying to convince him to get into coaching but it still hurts too much to not be able to play. So for other parents who read this…take heed, if your child has a concussion do not hurry the healing process, take your child to a Neurologist and have a baseline assessment done.</p>

<p>Ahpimommy! Wow you had to be terrified! I know that when my DD hit the post she was full out horizontal and she dropped like a stone. We all heard her head impact w/ the unpadded steel beam…I could not move. Children’s Memorial in Chicago was where we went immediately and they kept her. She lost feeling in her feet and legs too. The mood swings were crazy for us. One minute she was sweet and funny and the next she was rather Sybil-ish. She could only go to school on alternating days for 1/2 days. </p>

<p>I truly believe that the recovery from the concussion had something to do with her deciding not to play in college. She has always viewed herself as invincible and this shook her. she still plays full bore, but I just don’t think that she quite as aggressive on her dives…she puts her hand out more to touch the post, like she is making sure she knows where it is.</p>

<p>Because of her our HS has implemented the concussion detection/evaluation program called Impact. We have had it for football for 3 years, but now they are using it for soccer and for basketball. If you are unaware of this program it is neurological based and you do a baseline test on the computer, before your sport starts. Then if you suspect concussion or if you are mending from one, you continue to take the tests and it lets you know when the student can safely return to play. No coaches pushing kids and no pressure on the kids. It is an amazing program and I am grateful that we have it.</p>

<p>Our school district did not have Impact when DS was injured (2008), they do now. We kind of paved the way for Impact. When DS had the first concussion During regular football season the Coach dismissed it as a “ding” and had him play the rest of the game. Two weeks late he had 2 within 2 days…we were so luck he didn’t suffer from Second Impact. Again coach dismissed it and convinced DS that he was “fine” and could play. After the last one the Coach called to apologize, the Superintendent called to check on him and a good friend who works a CO said they were all worried we would sue the district (never even crossed my mind!). Impact was put into effect the following school year. It was a terrifying experience but I am thankful that good came out of it.</p>

<p>I should clarify my earlier post about all D1 football scholarships being “full rides”. </p>

<p>ALL FBS (Football Bowl subdivision, formerly D1-A) football scholarships are full rides. These are schools like Alabama, Michigan, USC, etc etc… Teams can have no more than 85 on scholarship in any given year and can award no more than 25 in a year to incoming recruits. </p>

<p>There is talk right now amongst some power conferences that these “full rides” need to be taken a step further and provide for the entire “cost of attendance” and not just tuition, room & board.</p>

<p>FCS (Football Championship Subdivision, formerly D1-AA) schools get 63 scholarships to award to no more than 85 players. Obviously some are on full rides and others get partial scholarships (tuition or room & board). But no more than 85 players may receive any part of a scholarship. Schools that compete in the FCS are schools like Illinois State, Northern Iowa, Delaware, etc etc.</p>

<p>Div 2 I think gets 36 scholarships to divvy up amongst their players and there are no athletic scholarships in Div 3.</p>