Holistic Review Chances TAMU ?

Resident: In state (large suburban Houston HS)
Major: Sociology or Psychology
Rank: 73/625 top 12% may change slighty with next ranking update
GPA: 3.5 unweighted 4.0 / 4.3 weighted 4.0
SAT: 1170
ACT: 25
APs: Human Geo (4), World Hist (3), Physics I (Don’t ask), Psych (3?), Eng Lang (3?), US Hist(3?) (will take Calc AB, Euro Hist, Eng Lit)
ECs: NHS, NEHS, Latin Club, Varsity Cheer (Co-Capt), All Star Cheer
Essay…will probably be slightly better than average

1. Chances for full admission (not Blinn)?
  2. Should she even bother applying?

Update…ACT composite 27

The updated score is much better than the 25, however I would continue to re-test - possibly try the SAT too. You can submit and add to the file with additional test scores - TAMU only counts the most beneficial score submitted. Chances without retesting are moderate - it is holistic review so the essays will be important & EC’s, that combined with a 12% rank and 27 ACT would put you IMO on the fence depending on the number of apps they get this year. I would apply to another school that she also likes that is more of sure thing, then continue to test (&study) for the ACT/SAT with the chance to get academic admit status as soon as she reaches the score minimums but if not, she has tried her very best at that point. There are plenty of students who wish they continued to try on the ACT/SAT when they are waiting to hear in review. It is a long stressful wait for most review applicants.

It’s definitely possible. My son got full admission with a 28 ACT and 2nd quarter of his class. He had similar ECs, had a really amazing summer experience before his senior year to write about, great recommendations and essays. I will say that most people with a 28 and 2nd Qtr did not get in though. I would do everything you can to bring her test scores up. It was a very long 6 months waiting for that acceptance to come in.

In case someone is reading back through…DD applied August 1, 2017 as a holistic review candidate for Psychology. Stats at time of submission: Rank 82/575 (14%), ACT 27, SAT 1180, 4.81wgpa. She was granted full admission in November 2017.