Homecoming 2013

<p>Can anyone pass on some info on Homecoming traditions at UA? Are mums worn? I am pretty sure they aren’t like the traditional “Texas mum”, but was wondering if some type of mum or ribbons were worn?</p>

<p>There is pomping. Someone else will have to explain this.</p>

<p>Pomping…taking tiny little pieces of colored tissued paper and rolling them into a tiny ball. Then placing said ball onto a very very large board to make a very detailed and intricate picture.</p>

<p>These pictures that are made are amazing and are in the parade during homecoming weekend.</p>

<p>Google Images: Alabama pomping to see some examples of it.</p>

<p>Typically, sororities and fraternities are paired during Homecoming Week and they participate in multiple events together. Here’s an excerpt from the 2013 Homecoming page:</p>

<p>“Homecoming will kick off with the annual ‘Roll Tide Run,’ followed by the Crimson Kickoff benefiting the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation. With competitions such as dodge ball, basketball, and dance, the student body has a chance to unify as we celebrate our great university. A local step show, can formation competition benefiting Beat Auburn, Beat Hunger; a lawn decoration competition, and more are also among the weeks exciting events. The annual pep rally will take place on the steps of Gorgas Library, where the Homecoming Queen will be crowned with a bon fire to follow. Game day will kick off with a parade featuring Crimson Tide teams, Big AL, the Homecoming Court, and many local bands led by the University’s own Million Dollar Band. The Homecoming game against Georgia State will conclude our celebration of ‘Leaving a Crimson Legacy’.”</p>

<p>Also, the sororities make homecoming floats and lawn decorations in celebration of Homecoming and typically they have their new members do all the pomping, which is rolling up small pieces of paper into balls and gluing them to their lawn decorations or floats. There is a competition for the best lawn decoration, best float, best step show dance, etc. I believe AlphaChi won the overall competition last year…if you want to see pictures, just check out the UA Homecoming page. </p>

<p>Pics:</p>

<p><a href=“http://tour.ua.edu/images/tourintpics/quad_3.jpg[/url]”>http://tour.ua.edu/images/tourintpics/quad_3.jpg&lt;/a&gt; (Homecoming bonfire)</p>

<p><a href=“http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cEgSM4HFBzM/TpJ71ks2vVI/AAAAAAAAEqU/ydXzOqWxjdI/s400/10.8.11+AL+homecoming%252C+shop+pics+153.JPG[/url]”>http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cEgSM4HFBzM/TpJ71ks2vVI/AAAAAAAAEqU/ydXzOqWxjdI/s400/10.8.11+AL+homecoming%252C+shop+pics+153.JPG&lt;/a&gt; (Homecoming "float)</p>

<p><a href=“http://homecoming.ua.edu/images/frontImgs/HC13/8.jpg[/url]”>http://homecoming.ua.edu/images/frontImgs/HC13/8.jpg&lt;/a&gt; (Football)</p>

<p>So, it is basically just the Sororities/Frats that participate or do other organizations or groups do floats and decorations?</p>

<p>Here ya go: [Homecoming[/url</a>] Not much on there yet, though.</p>

<p>The Facebook page: <a href=“https://www.facebook.com/UAHomecoming[/url]”>University of Alabama Homecoming](<a href=“http://homecoming.ua.edu/]Homecoming[/url”>http://homecoming.ua.edu/)</a></p>

<p>Mortar Board’s big fundraiser was selling homecoming mums. My now-husband wouldn’t buy me one so I bought my own.
Some other long-gone HC items - pomping originally mean tucking pieces of white paper into chicken wire which covered forms and made skirts on the float trailers. Then you’d go back and pull out the correct pieces and substitute colored paper for lettering or artwork. It had a pretty, fluffy appearance.
Another game tradition used to be fraternities and sororities making big banners (newsprint!) and hanging them inside the fences around the football field.</p>

<p>A little relieved…my days of hot glueing my fingers together making mums is finally over! And I can get rid of all the left over mum supplies. Woo Hoo</p>

<p>Actually no, txmom. The Capstone College of Nursing usually wins the float competition. Roll Tide nurses!</p>

<p>They do mums there? WOW! Has anyone elses Tx kids had to explain what those big flower things with ribbons they wore on them were? I know DD has had many ask her. I’ve got 4 more years of making Homecoming Mums and hot glue burned fingers. I asked DD1 if she wanted me to make her a small UA mum for Homecoming and I got the evil eye.</p>

<p>One of my friends in Bham saw a pic of DS and his girlfriend at homecoming, she couldn’t believe what they were wearing.(and I never did the doubles or triples)…I told her we couldn’t either when we first moved to Texas…but those big gaudy things just kind of grow on you…literally!</p>

<p>I have no idea what any of you are talking about LOL. Is this a southern thing, these mums? Doubles? Triples?</p>

<p>EDIT: OK, saw the info on the other thread and watched the Queen Mum video. Um, wow.</p>

<p>*So, it is basically just the Sororities/Frats that participate or do other organizations or groups do floats and decorations?
*</p>

<p>Groups do the lawn displays, too. CBH does one every year and it’s won before.</p>

<p>It sounds like there is a lot going on…may have to plan to go that weekend. I would love to see all the floats and lawn displays.</p>

<p>lisa, the homecoming mum is a Texas thing. There are whole stores dedicated to selling the stuff to make them. The double, triple thing referst to how many flowers you use to make the mum itself. When I was growing up they were one medium sized white flower with a few ribbons all in the school colors. Now you can use multiples and make them into shapes like hearts and such.</p>

<p>Those mums are crazy! My son spent days making one for his gf a few years ago.</p>

<p>When my D had some out of staters come to Dallas last year for the Michigan game, I was shocked to hear the loud and excited squeals that came out of her room! I finally realized what all the fuss was about when one of the girls literally yelled, “OMG you went to the most fun high school EVER!” Her mum collection and senior overalls (another crazy and extremely gaudy tradition) were hanging on her wall, and the girls’ mouths were wide open. My D thought everyone hung tacky, oversized mums on their walls. The Queen Mum video is quite epic!</p>

<p>Our school has not done the HC senior overalls. They have done the jeans. The senior girls always have a special t-shirt though. HC was/is a HUGE deal at our school since it is pretty old. DD1 was in band as is DD2. On HC day nothing gets done at their school. At random times during the day some members of the band will march thru the school playing the fight song. The band boosters do a big cookout for the band members for lunch in the courtyard. The band comes and plays, us parents cook, serve, sing/dance, take lots of pictures, etc. Then when it is pep rally time the entire band marches thru the school playing the fight song and everyone following them into the main gym. It is insane and a lot of fun. </p>

<p>Yes, DD has all of her mums hanging on her wall. </p>

<p>Don’t forget the mum exchange the night before Homecoming. Another big deal. The guy comes over with the girls mum to present it to her and she gives him his Homecoming garter. All the parents are there and tons of pictures are taken. </p>

<p>FYI, the garter is a Homecoming Mum that is on a garter for the guy to wear. The mums are so big now for the girls you make them with a lanyard to be worn around their neck so as not to rip their clothes. All day long at school you hear all the bells making noise at school. </p>

<p>Love the Queen Mum video. It never gets old.</p>

<p>Luckily our school hasn’t gotten to the point where they have to use the lanyards to hold them up…they are big, but can still be worn traditionally to the side…but pinning them on is strategic. Many do the overalls for that purpose. I spent many a homecoming morning in the band hall pinning on mums…I just hate when then try to pin them on shirts and it drags down. Pin behind the shoulder, and attach to the bra strap. I always incorporated small loops around the back of the mum to run pins through…impossible to drive a pin through the cardboard.<br>
Diaper pins are the best, but almost impossible to find now.</p>

<p>Yes we do the lanyards to hold them up, too. My pastor’s wife joked that she was going to sell IV poles so the girls could wheel them around! Our senior overalls are a sight to behold! The girls spend all summer and hundreds of dollars making them or having them made. They are worn on all home game days to school and to the games. </p>

<p>And then there’s the whole, " How to ask a girl to homecoming," situation. One must be surprising, super creative, and have both parents there to take pictures so they can be instantly Instagramed! Having a high school boy, this year, is fun after doing all of this with a girl the first time around!</p>

<p>There has also been a store front window painting competition (store fronts on The Strip and in the downtown area) with some very artistic interpretations.
CBH has won the Pomping Lawn Decoration Contest in the past (I don’t think they do this anymore, I believe that it has been taken over by the HC).
There have been Biology Exhibitions in the tents on the Quad in the past with live animals. I don’t know if that will be happening this year. The kids used to love this.
There is a really spirited Homecoming Parade that is very interesting to watch. This event showcases the athletes, the cheerleaders and band members.
The annual Pep Rally is a not to be missed event. Stay for the short speeches, and also for the bonfire.
There is a tent on the Quad where you can buy Bama souvenirs, t-shirts, hoodies, etc.</p>

<p>Be prepared to be outdoors all day, to walk a lot and to stand for extended periods of time. It could also be a little cool in the evening, check the weather forecast. Plan on a break for food and rest. There are some really yummy food choices on the Quad.</p>