Homeschooled-ish, no GPA…

Yes, a high school diploma or equivalency test certificate would allow you into community college.

4 Likes

Yes, AP tests, or even CLEP tests. Any sort of national proficiency test your country offers. Certifications from edX courses (the ones where you pay a fee and they certify that you have learned the material, not just the ones saying that you have taken the course), or other online courses from reputable providers that are graded and at a late high school or college level. I saw a new thing this year with my son who was applying—some colleges said you could use schoolhouse.world certifications.

Also recommendation letters from reputable people you have done some sort of work with, who both know you well and know what it takes to be a successful college student.

3 Likes

IB exams, AP, Igcse+ A Levels (or Cambridge preU…)
would all work.

Can your parents afford to pay for you to attend? Are they okay paying $40,000 a year at a minimum?

3 Likes

whered you get 40,000?

I would agree. The OOS costs for tuition and fees at some community college…PLUS all living expenses (room, board, personal expenses), travel, and health insurance.

Those could easily add up to $40,000 a year.

What state would you be considering? CA, for example, would be VERY pricey in terms of living expenses.

2 Likes

I too am a homeschooled student, but my family has been extremely determined to stress academics and extracurriculars throughout my life; plus I am technically enrolled in an accredited online school so colleges evaluate me the same they do any other student. However, I do have many friends who have gone the “unschooling way”, so I believe I am qualified to speak to your questions, more so than some other people.

For any legit US college, you will need to create a transcript and if possible list grades, even if it is just listed as “PASS”. This will not be as difficult as it seems, all you have to do is work with your parent (or any other person who has knowledge of what you have done), and list GENERIC course names for the past two years. This can be literally anything you have done: 9th-grade reading,9th-grade math, 9th-grade food science(baking), 10th-grade science, 10th-grade test prep, and 10th-grade business (if you had a job). Anything you remember doing can go on your transcript. Also, you got 1550 on the freaking SAT, congrats!!! That is a big deal and you should feel very proud, this is what makes me think you are fully prepared for college more so than most students here are. I also believe universities will see that and will understand your lack of specific documentation since you are an international homeschooler. You are still early in your junior year so you can start keeping records now, anything at all you do to learn needs to be documented. Did you read a book? Did you use a textbook? Did you watch a documentary? Did you listen to a webinar or some learning podcast?
If you are still feeling worried, pick out a US university (I would recommend a smaller liberal arts college with your record, but go for whatever you think will best align with you) and contact your admissions counselor, these people are so kind and it is literally their job to help you through anything related to applying.
I hope this helps and good luck to you.
Reach out if you have any other questions, like I said I’ve seen people in the same boat and can help. Work hard and don’t lose hope!

5 Likes

“whered you get 40,000?”
Truman State, Passhe, SUNY colleges, UMN- Morris, SIUs, plus some Colleges that Change Lives if you got a scholarship … plus community colleges.
Though your background would make Hampshire college especially appropriate.

3 Likes

A few posts here have been hidden because they are directed towards particular users and are not relevant to the thread at all. Posts have also been edited.

Please remember Forum Rules. FAQ - College Confidential Forums

Please read again the posts above that discuss how to create the documentation of what you have done. Both are very helpful posts for someone in your shoes.

4 Likes

thanks for the positive tone, and i really appreciate hearing from someone who has direct insight into situations like mine. i’m definitely planning on documenting what i do from here on out, as well as going back and trying to organise some record of past studies. :^)

4 Likes

Still wondering: So before you begin to document your education, did you ask you parents about how much they can afford for a US school? Are they okay with paying $40K per year?

Since this poster won’t be on CC for a while, I am closing the thread. They are at liberty to request the thread be reopened.

1 Like