Honor Societies

<p>Hey y’all!</p>

<p>So I am now in my second semester at UA, and I made Dean’s List for the fall. Now I’m being invited to join honors societies, namely Alpha Lambda Delta (for first semester/year 35+) and Phi Eta Sigma (freshman honors society). My question is, should I? Are these really CV-boosters?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Congrats on your GPA success.</p>

<p>Re: Honor Societies.</p>

<p>These invites can quickly get out of hand as all these various societies issue invites. I do not think that many of the Honor Societies are CV boosters. However, some are.</p>

<p>My kids limited acceptances to:</p>

<p>Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Kappa Phi
the one associated with each of their majors (math and engineering)
Mortar Board</p>

<p>Both my husband and his father were members of Phi Eta Sigma, so they encouraged son to join. He also did join Alpha Lambda Delta, and we went to his induction, since it was on a Sunday. Lots of pretty young ladies in that group, and they gave out four scholarships. I thought that was pretty good, to see they’re doing some good with their dues money. As son is an engineering major and not very involved with clubs, he’s not going to be able to join Phi Beta Kappa or any of the more selective honor societies that require recommendations and leadership qualities. I did encourage him to join Golden Key, as it is one I was familiar with. So, while some may say these honor societies get out of hand, it’s not like you’re going to get an invite every week. Son is a sophomore, second semester, and has only gotten four honor society invitations. He’s a great student, making President’s List twice, even, so I’m sure there are some more selective honor societies out there that he hasn’t been invited to, probably because he’s not in a lot of clubs and holds office. Freshman year, I encouraged son to accept the invites because honestly, I didn’t know if he’d ever get another one. I didn’t know if his grades would slip with the increased difficulty of his curriculum, or if he simply wouldn’t qualify for any more honor societies because he’s not an officer in any clubs, like he was in high school. It’s really up to you whether you want to spend the money and give your child a confidence booster. But in the end, it’s going to be up to your child whether he attends the meetings and participates in the activities offered by these different honor societies. They do do a lot of service work, which I think is a good thing, so I don’t mind supporting a group that contributes to the community. But that’s your and your child’s choice.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the insights. My mom got the ALD letter and already said she’d send in the dues and such for that, and I’ll probably join the other because, as you say, Montegut, I don’t really know how many more I’ll be invited to!</p>

<p>Glad I found this thread. Thanks for asking, crazyinalabama! We couldn’t help wondering whether some of these were scams. Glad to know some are legit.</p>

<p>Does anyone know anything about the National Society of Collegiate Scholars? They offer scholarships. They also send very fancy, expensive recruitment mail, lol.</p>

<p>Just to chime in here again. Never joined the National Collegiate or High School. Son got an invite from one or both of them, but didn’t join either.</p>

<p>Before you say you definitely won’t join one, let me just state that my son has been on the President’s List for the last two semesters, yet no more honor society invites have come his way. He’s not an officer in any clubs, so maybe at this point, second semester sophomore year, the honor societies become more selective, where one requires a nomination from a faculty member or something like that. Son is also an engineering major, so not eligible for a lot of the more well known honor societies, which, for some reason, are not open to engineering majors. </p>

<p>As he was getting a resume together for the career fair last week, he was happy that he did have those honor societies to put on his resume.</p>

<p>As a mom, I’m more interested in him attending the honor society meetings so that he may meet a nice, smart girl, not necessarily for networking opportunities, but I don’t need him to know that. Winky face!</p>

<p>LOL montegut…your secret is safe with us!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>"…As a mom, I’m more interested in him attending the honor society meetings so that he may meet a nice, smart girl, not necessarily for networking opportunities, but I don’t need him to know that. Winky face!" montegut
^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHA not a bad idea :)</p>

<p>mom2collegekids: can you please tell me if community service that the student does on his own would fulfill PKP requirements? my son just received invitation, but he’s already doing lots of comm. service on his own. meeting others and networking does sound appealing, however. can you please share what your kids’ experience/impressions have been?
hoping son will be invited to join PBK when he becomes eligible, as we’ve heard positive things, but nothing specific.</p>

<p>Both of my boys have been inducted into PKP. I don’t recall what the community service aspect was. Does the invite ask you to list ECs? or Comm Serv? or what? </p>

<p>BTW…Montegut…Engineering has its own Honor Societies, so your son will soon likely be invited to one of those.</p>

<p>PBK director at UA recently communicated that invites for Spring induction would be going out within the next month or so.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids, the formal invite is enroute to our home, so i have no knowledge of that. i was just wondering, since he’s already doing so much. he is an auburn student, but someone on auburn forum advised that i check with you, since you’re “respected and very knowledgeable”. :)</p>

<p>son is in 2nd year, but jr. by credits, so it’s probably too early to be considered. (?)</p>

<p>Each school can have its own guidelines, so you need to check with your child’s school.</p>

<p>okie dokie thanks! ^^</p>