Honors Calc I versus Standard Calc I

<p>IS there much difference between the pace, difficulty, and grading for Honors Calculus I versus Standard Calculus I?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>My kids didn’t take Cal I, but they did take Honors Cal II and they said that the difference was that Honors Cal often doesn’t require that homework get turned in…sort of an honors system…if you need to do the homework, then do it. If you only need to do a couple of problems or no problems, then fine. Don’t know if that’s true for all honors Cal or not.</p>

<p>In reality, the prof is what makes the difference…so choose one that has the best reviews.</p>

<p>Good point. S isn’t the strongest in math, but as long as it isn’t harder, it sounds like it may offer a smaller class and more individualized instruction.</p>

<p>My D took regular Cal II and then Honors Cal III. I think mom2 is right that it all depends on the prof and what their requirements are.</p>

<p>My D’s regular Cal II had some homework and quizzes. Honors Cal III had required (time consuming) homework followed by an online quiz three to four times a week. Both profs were good, just different approaches.</p>

<p>Should I skip right to Honors Calc II? I took AP Calc AB this year, am going to end the year with an A, and feel pretty confident about the subject matter. I’m going to be majoring in engineering, so should I just take honors calc and get an easy A, or learn mostly new material in calc II and be one class ahead towards my major?</p>

<p>seems that most kids get advised to repeat calc my D did but feels like it was a waste of time and she didn’t need the repeat.</p>

<p>i would go on to calc II if you feel confident.</p>

<p>Just so you are aware - Honors Cal II (Math 146) isn’t usually offered in the fall.</p>

<p>Our D had a great Cal II professor last fall with a class size of about 75. There are some sections of Cal II that are geared to engineering majors (but fine for other majors). They set aside so many seats in the class for engineers and cover some material (vectors?) that other sections don’t.</p>

<p>Mom,</p>

<p>How do you know which are set aside for engineering majors? My son will be taking CalcII and I did notice that there are no honors sections for fall. I also noticed there are not too many sections and most are full. I’m sure space will open up or we can get on a waitlist. I have reminded myself we have all summer to get this schedule straight.</p>

<p>Does anyone have AP Stat credit? How does that fit into the equation for engineers as it is listed under computer science credit (ST 260). I am thinking it is just extra credits but won’t count for anything toward the major.</p>

<p>Looking back at the Fall 2010 online course catalog it says this: NOTICE!! 54 seats are reserved for Engineering students and 21 seats for all others. </p>

<p>That was on 4 of the 8 sections of Cal II. If you search for Math 126 then click on “Lecture” where it says Schedule Types that’s where it would have the blurb about the seats. I’m sure the Engineering Department will give you all pertinent info at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>My D was one of the 21 “others” in the class so I can’t comment on the AP Stat credit with engineering. She does have the CS credit for AP Stat (which I think is an odd equivalency).</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip. I went back and looked at what you referred to and saw it. I rechecked this fall and no such notice. I guess they are doing things differently.</p>

<p>And I agree about the AP Stat credit, doesn’t make sense to me.</p>

<p>Does anyone know where I could find a UA syllabus for Calc 2 that is more current? I found one from 2008. Or is this one adequate?</p>

<p>COURSE TITLE: CALCULUS II
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The second course in the three part basic calculus sequence
for students majoring in mathematics, science or engineering. Topics include vectors and
the geometry of space, applications of integration, integration techniques, L’Hopital’s
Rule, improper integrals, infinite series, conic sections, plane curves, parametric
equations, and polar coordinates.
PREREQUISITE: A grade of C- or higher in MATH 125 (or MATH 145)
LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR 100- AND 200-LEVEL COURSES:

1. Students will be able to identify key concepts in the arts, sciences, humanities, or
    mathematics to provide a broad perspective.
  2. Students will be able to demonstrate effective written communication skills.
    LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR THIS COURSE:
  3. Students will develop a basic understanding of two- and three-dimensional
    vectors, the geometry of the plane and space, and be able to apply these concepts
    when working applied problems.
  4. Students will learn various techniques of integration including integration by
    parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions decomposition.
  5. Students will acquire basic skills needed to apply integration techniques to solve a
    wide range of integration problems.
  6. Students will develop a basic understanding of infinite series and their
    applications.
  7. Students will learn how to use parametric equations and polar coordinates.
    TEXT: Essential Calculus (Early Transcendentals) AUTHOR: Stewart
    PUBLISHER: Brooks/Cole CREDIT HOURS: 4
    CHAPTERS COVERED:
    10 Vectors and the Geometry of Space (cover sections 10.1 –10.5) *
    6 Techniques of Integration
    7 Applications of Integration (cover sections 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, and 7.6*<em>)
    3 Indeterminate Forms and L’Hopital’s Rule (cover section 3.7)
    8 Series
    9 Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates (9.5 optional)
  • The material is the first five sections of Chapter 10 should be covered at the beginning
    of the semester.
    *</em> Cover separable equations only.
    CLASS ATTENDANCE: Students are expected to attend all classes. Makeup
    examinations will be given only in the event of serious illness or other extreme cases, and
    only if timely notification is given.
    COURSE GRADES: Grades will be determined from a minimum of four examinations
    plus a comprehensive final examination, and any additional course work that may be
    assigned by the instructor.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Am I understanding this correctly - that the honors class doesn’t cover more material, or cover the material more deeply, the main difference between honors calc and regular calc is in how it’s graded?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It really depends on the instructor. I’ve taken a non-honors calc class that didn’t require homework or attendance and one that required attendance and online assignments.</p>

<p>Pinot. I didn’t mean that. Since my kids took honors I don’t know how much harder or deeper it was than nonhonors. </p>

<p>That said, much will depend on the prof.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure the material is taught with more depth and expectation of understanding in the honors courses. (However, I had standard Cal II with the dreaded Prof. Frenkel, who seemed to teach and test with the assumption that we were Ph.D students taking a refresher course!) The tests will reflect that understanding…you’re going to get more than a rehash of homework problems. Sometimes you may have to think outside the box and demonstrate a understanding of the material beyond what was covered in the lectures or the text.</p>