Honors Calc vs. Regular Calc Sequence

<p>Hi everyone. I'm kind of new to posting here on CC, but I have been here before. I have been creeping on here since November when I started applying for college lol. (I got into Madison, woo!)</p>

<p>Anyway, I got invited to take honors calc. I filled out a form; I got accepted. </p>

<p>Here's the problem... I took Calc 1/AP Calc AB/College Credit Calc, etc. this last year. I was one of the best students in my class (probably why I got invited in the first place). Aced both high school finals and the college credit final. Finished the class with a 97% overall. And now I have college credits for Math 221 at Madison. I took the AP Calc AB test too. Didn't do so hot because our class wasn't tailored to AP Calc (probably got a 2 or 3 on the exam). The teacher tailored it to the college curriculum set by the program, so I missed out on a couple of important topics. </p>

<p>So should I take honors calc starting at Calc 1 again or move on to Calc 2 knowing I'm lacking some important concepts. </p>

<p>And yeah, I get that it is more theoretical, but I haven't had much exposure to that, so I can't really say if I like it or not.</p>

<p>EDIT: Planning on a Chem/Math double major, also!</p>

<p>Definitely take the Honors Calculus sequence. Regular calculus is more problem based while the honors sequence will be more theory/proof based- ideal for a math major. Also try to fit in Chemistry 115-116, the Honors sequence. My son did the Honors Calculus and Physics sequences, eventually choosing a math major. He had the 5 on the AP test and kept his AP credits for both subjects. The Honors Calculus sequence includes 4 semesters of math in 3 so you don’t even lose a semester by “starting over” instead of starting with the second semester of regular calculus. Most students who take AP calculus are advised to start over with 221 as they don’t have the same knowledge base from the AP course as they get from 221, most struggle with 222. You will find your math and chemistry peers in the Honors courses- go for it. The regular courses will have many students taking them because they need, not want, them. My son also took several grad level math courses for his Honors degree- UW’s math grad school has been ranked about 15th nationally. He could have graduated in 3 years without the extra courses (no chemistry labs that require a lot of time) but benefited from the extra courses as an undergrad. Chemistry at UW is even higher ranked at UW than math, plus they have a chemistry education area in addition so undergrads get good teaching at the basic levels as well as experiences with a top notch grad program available.</p>

<p>Finally a response! lol </p>

<p>Thanks for your input. I was already leaning more towards the honors calc sequence because of the small numbers (I think there’s 7 enrolled right now the last time I looked). I just needed a second opinion I guess. </p>

<p>As for Chem 115-116, I tried to get in. I talked to the advisers and the department chair. They wouldn’t budge. They told me my math scores on the ACT apparently weren’t high enough, which really doesn’t make sense to me since I got into honors calc, but there’s not much I can do now since it’s past the deadline. So I’m signed up for Chem 109H which isn’t as small as the Chem 115 section, but I’m hoping it’ll be good.</p>

<p>109 is another good choice. More math enrollment as SOAR progresses. btw- Finally??? Only took one day, not a week or more for a response. Watch it on the instant gratification- many with knowledge are not on CC all of the time, or even every day. Plus vacations.</p>

<p>Sorry didn’t mean to come off like that. I wrote in more of a comical tone since you responded so fast. </p>

<p>I also have another question: Which classes were the honors physics courses at the time because all the introductory physics courses are honors optional now?</p>

<p>There was a whole sequence of Physics- don’t know numbers as it was son, not me, who took it. Check the catalog.</p>

<p>I believe it was Physics 247/248/249.</p>

<p>Oh, ok. Thank you.</p>