Honors chem 117 with D. Dixon- help with books

<p>My son is taking honors chem with D. Dixon and we are in the process of ordering books. Besides the clicker and lab maual, does anyone know what textbook we need? There are two other books listed and it says choose one. I did email him but haven’t heard back yet. The bookstore is out of used copies. Any suggestions from folks whos kids are in this class? Thanks.</p>

<p>I did do some searching online for used copies and I could not find either book listed. I was hoping to get a used copy as this is my son’s only semester of chem. He is an aerospace major.</p>

<p>I’m in the same situation but with Szulczewski, so here’s a bump!</p>

<p>This is what is listed on the Supe Store website:</p>

<p><a href=“1”>quote</a> 978-1-256-06991-1 BROWN / CENTRAL SCIENCE W/ MASTERING CHEMISTRY ACCESS CODE Choose One $163.10 106.05</p>

<p>(2) 0-558-82988-0 NONE / CH 117/118 MASTERING CHEMISTRY ACCESS CODE W/E-BOOK PEARSON/ Choose One $153.20 99.60</p>

<p>(3) NONE / RESPONSE PAD XR (XRC-01) Required $52.00 33.80</p>

<p>(4) 0-558-75180-6 LIVINGSTON / CH 117/118 LAB MANUAL FALL 2010/SPRING 2011 PEARSON/ Required $86.80 N/A

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Okay, so you got the clicker and lab manual, items (3) and (4), so you have the covered.</p>

<p>Item (1) is the textbook (“Central Science”) bundled with an online homework program access code (“Mastering Chemistry”). Item (2) is the code bundled with an e-version of the textbook.</p>

<p>The book is not listed alone, which is sneaky, because you can’t see the ISBN of the exact textbook you need. I thought the Supe Store was required to do this.</p>

<p>Okay…I see what the issue may be. I looked up “Brown Central Science” on Amazon. The full title of the book is “Chemistry: The Central Science” by Brown, et al. There is a new edition out this year (12th ed), which means there would be no used books to sell this year. You may be out of luck, unless the older edition (11th ed.) is still to be used this year (which is doutbful).</p>

<p>This is why having the ISBN from the Supe Store is helpful. Different editions of the same textbook have different ISBNs.</p>

<p>You’ll just have to wait on that email reply to see if the 11th or 12th edition is being used.</p>

<p>Thanks feeno. The thing that kind of tricked me up was the Pearson book was listed all along. When I started checking prices a few days ago that is the one I was trying to track down. Yesterday as I was using the SUPe website to order stuff, the other book ‘Brown’ showed up. So now I’m thinking we need two books. And as you mentioned, they are difficult to find. I know we need a book, I was just hoping to get by on this one with a used one as my son will probably never take Chem after this semester.</p>

<p>Than again, after reading some of the things about Dixon I hope he survives!
Thanks again.</p>

<p>When ordering books be careful of which edition you order. Last semester i ordered the “newer” edition and the professor did not like that edition. There were some changes he did not want. My son then had to re-order the “older” edition (which was very hard to find). Stick with the edition listed. “Newer” in this case was not better.</p>

<p>Just heard back from D. Dixon. He said" He will need the Brown, Le May et al Mastering Chemistry. That was the entire message. Hope this helps some others looking for the same info.</p>

<p>Both used and new copies are not available in the SUPE store. I think I’ll wait and just let my son buy from the store when they get some more in. Than he can resell it back later. I figured that most kids are in the same situation as my son. Thanks again for your help. At least we have the clicker and lab manaul.</p>

<p>Wow, what a helpful reply from Dixon. <em>/sarcasm</em> You might consider this a small sample of the service you’ll be getting from him.</p>

<p>You may want to have your son send him an email (some professors/instructors don’t appreciate it when parents do things on behalf of their children) asking for clarification about which edition is needed. But again, I’m pretty sure the new edition is what is needed, in which case you’d be out of luck with regards to getting a used copy. </p>

<p>On the other hand, since homework is online through the Mastering Chemistry program, you may not need the newer edition of the book.</p>

<p>Feeno- </p>

<p>I thought the same thing. Truely, that was all that was written in the text of the email. I’m not even going to try and buy it anywhere else. Like I said, he can purchase it from the Supe store when more come in.</p>

<p>On a side note, I think this class is going to be something.</p>

<p>^^^As we say in the South, you ain’t just whistling Dixie.</p>

<p>Montegut,</p>

<p>Did your son have Dixon for Chem? I’m not sure what to think of your reply but I’m thinking it isn’t good:) My son only signed up for that class because it was the only one that fit his schedule. Between marching band and calc his afternoons are shot.</p>

<p>Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. My son could not fit chemistry into his schedule last year. He’s taking it at the local college this summer. </p>

<p>Chemistry, in itself, is a tough course, no matter the teacher. But it is a necessary evil for science majors. First session this summer went okay, but this second session, taught by the same teacher, is a doozy.</p>

<p>If you’re uncomfortable with the teacher, you may look at class offerings closer to the fall. There may be another session offered that can fit into your schedule. Many of the kids are waiting on the calc teacher announcements to finalize their schedules.</p>

<p>Remember, too, he can always change sections once he’s started, too. </p>

<p>As for the saying, it means, You ain’t kidding. I just couldn’t resist making that comment in response to your final note.</p>

<p>I was having the same problem. Thought I’d share my email incase it might help someone else, my professor is Szulczewski not Dixon though.</p>

<p>My email:
The University Supply Store only has the e-book version available and I would prefer the actual textbook. When using the ISBN number listed for the textbook on other sites, such as amazon.com, it gets no results back. When searching with the title of the book it does get results, but there are different editions. I wanted to check with you to make sure I purchased the correct one. On amazon.com I found Chemistry: The Central Science with Mastering Chemistry (12th Edition). Would this be the correct one to get?</p>

<p>His reply:
Brianna: Yes the 12th edition.</p>

<p>I am also in Szulczewski’s 117 class so I am equally as interested as the rest of yall.</p>

<p>I have The Central Science textbook from my chem class this past year in high school, but it is the 10th edition. I do not, however, have the fancy online access code thing. Is it ok to use the 10th edition, do you think? And is it possible to buy an access code to the website without the book?</p>

<p>I emailed Szulczewski two weeks ago and never received a reply.</p>

<p>Heard back from Dixon again. He said he wants the 12 edition and the bookstore wil be restocking shortly. I’m not sure if that applies to your teacher but I thought I would put it out there.</p>

<p>Oh good, now that we know the edition of the book, we can look it on book websites by ISBN. From Amazon, the ISBN of “Chemistry: The Central Science” by Brown, 12ed is 9780321696724.</p>

<p>Some of the discount book websites I used in school were bestbookbuys.com and bigwords.com. I especially liked the latter. These discount books sites also give you the option of buying international editions and even renting US editions (both much cheaper than buying a new US edition that you’ll only need a handful of times for $200.)</p>

<p>Also, I went to the Mastering Chemistry website and you can buy an access code (without e-book) directly from the publisher for $56, which is way less than the price the Supe Store is offering.</p>

<p>[Register</a> for MasteringChemistry](<a href=“http://masteringchemistry.com/site/register/new-students.html]Register”>http://masteringchemistry.com/site/register/new-students.html)</p>

<p>So if you order from the Mastering Chemistry website and you buy an access code & e-book for $96.80 what is the lab manual, and would you still have to get that from the Supe store?</p>

<p>Thanks, this is all so confusing.:)</p>

<p>I have no answers but wanted to say how much I admired the help Feenotype offered…</p>

<p>would be interesting to see how much this prof is getting paid . . . . . …</p>

<p>For those of you (like me) who find this off-putting…I want to point out the lack of clarity in the response is not the typical UA helpfulness!</p>

<p>The lab manual is the workbook for the lab portion of the course, containing the instructions and worksheets for each lab. It is very much required and you use it every week. It’s a book custom-made for UA so you won’t find it anywhere but the Supe Store (and possibly the off-campus independent bookstores).</p>

<p>And thanks, The Student, I try to give help where I can. I would have killed for a resource like CC when I first started college, back in the days when the internet wasn’t as developed as it is today.</p>