Honors classes by contract

<p>anyone familiar with doing honors classes by contract? DD doesn’t have a lot of core classes to take so it is hard to find classes in her major that are honors classes.</p>

<p>i think i remember reading somewhere about honors by contract - where you take a regular section but have some extra work (maybe a paper or something) assigned to give you the honors credit.</p>

<p>need to find out more about this.</p>

<p>One can do honors by contract for up to two classes. You explained it correctly; one arranges with the professor to do an extra project, presentation, or a longer paper in return for honors credit. The form is then turned in to the Honors College where Dr. Morgan (and Dr. Oneal if it will also count for IHP credit), along with Dr. Sharpe will approve the proposal (in most cases this is a formality that doesn’t require the student to do anything to get it approved).</p>

<p>The form for an honors by contract can be found at [Honors</a> College - Honors by Contract](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=honors-by-contract-2]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=honors-by-contract-2) .</p>

<p>ok, great! i thought it was pretty simple. but only for 6 hours … </p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>Can you get a grade boost by doing the honors by contract? I don’t know how to tell if a class allows for the A+, A, A-, etc.</p>

<p>nope - not a grade boost, just hours toward your honors requirements.</p>

<p>every class offers + and - grades, i think.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Well not every class does +/-, some profs chose to just give out letter grades only. I’ve had a few of those.</p>

<p>oops - did not know that. sorry.</p>

<p>It really just depends on the prof. Most do give out +/- but a few are very very picky about giving out +s, aka they may give out one a year. It’s like their way of saying “this was a standout student.” Plus some profs don’t want to go through the hassle of balancing their grading curve with +/-s since that only complicates the distribution.</p>

<p>What distribution? I don’t understand. Is there a bell curve or something?</p>

<p>An honors by contract does not give a grade boost.</p>

<p>As for +/- grading, it depends on the instructor. Those that grade using a curve or by what they feel a student deserves may be hesitant to give A+ grades. I’ve had professors who didn’t give +/- grades for As, but did for Bs and Cs as to not penalize top (A) students, yet remain fair. There are some professors who assign work and extra credit based on the current and desired class average (usually a B/B- in the business school).</p>

<p>Can the same honors by contract course be used to fulfill requirements for both IHP and UHP?</p>

<p>IHP graduation requirements state that one must take “Two International Honors by Contract courses (covering international material).”</p>

<p>Can those six credits go toward the requirement of 18 honors credits for UHP? I’ve been worrying about how I’ll fit all of those in, but I’m taking 8 honors credits this semester, and I have to take an IHP class next semester, so if I counted six credits from honors by contract courses and a one-credit honors seminar, I’d be all set.</p>

<p>if you are taking 8 in one semester, you should be fine! that leaves only 10 more hours to fit in in 7 more semesters.</p>

<p>Honors by contract courses can count for both UHP and IHP requirements.</p>