Honors classes?'s

<p>Wow, there is a lot to choose from, S is trying to pick one for his remaining spot. I guess it just depends on what is open?</p>

<p>Don’t quite understand the difference between, Freshman, Special Topics, Exploration, Survey, W i guess is writing, or H HU designation.</p>

<p>Is the goal to take one of the Freshman? Do they open spots at each BB, since most of them looked closed.</p>

<p>I was thinking Arts of T-Town would be good and they have a lot of sections, but he won’t have transportation and I don’t want that to be an issue.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about transportation for Arts of T-town…many don’t have cars and it’s not hard to arrange car pools…this subject came up last year…I think someone contacted a prof and something was said about arranging rides or something.</p>

<p>Yes…W is for 300 level courses with the Writing designation.</p>

<p>And…some classes are for Frosh only.</p>

<p>Is the goal to take one of the Freshman? Do they open spots at each BB, since most of them looked closed.</p>

<p>If he wants to take a Frosh honors class, he should. I don’t know if they are going to keep opening spots in honors classes since the honors BBs are over… UHP classes are limited to 15 students each…so if a class has 15 kids in it, they can’t open more seats…but they could later add more sections of that class.</p>

<p>I would say 95% of honors classes are marked C- so they aren’t going to open any more spots there? Some have waitlist numbers I thought, the non Frosh.</p>

<p>Also, there are almost zero openings for Principles of Bio or Honors Bio. The one spot I see for Honors Bio, has the prof with one of the worst ratings I have ever seen. Are they likely to open more by tomorrow, or is pretty much what I am seeing going to be it?</p>

<p>If tomorrow is Day 2, then more spots will open…use the method I told you about. :)</p>

<p>Right now…there are about 100 spots offered/taken.
Looking at last year, those classes will have 200 spots offered/taken…so they will open more spots tomorrow. I would imagine that at least 10 spots per section will open tomorrow.</p>

<p>For honors bio…I don’t know if more spots will open, but this is what I’d do…if none open tomorrow, then grab a regular bio…and then look occasionally for openings.</p>

<p>Last year, honors bio was in BY202 classroom, but this year it is in BY 127 - which I think is a larger classroom. </p>

<p>I would try to get into Kimberly Caldwell’s class.</p>

<p>*I would say 95% of honors classes are marked C- so they aren’t going to open any more spots there? *</p>

<p>The C just means that they are closed as of this minute…tomorrow, if seats open, the C will become a box that can be selected.</p>

<p>“Don’t worry about transportation for Arts of T-town…many don’t have cars and it’s not hard to arrange car pools…this subject came up last year…I think someone contacted a prof and something was said about arranging rides or something.”</p>

<p>We were told this but it didn’t pan out. There definitely were some transportation issues for some of the off campus events, especially when DS had night classes which conflicted with when many of the kids were going. For his session there were no formal ride arrangements, and while it may be no big deal for some freshmen to ask virtual strangers for a ride, not all kids are comfortable doing that. Fortunately most every event had information online so realistically you could skip the event and write the paper anyways, but to dismiss the transportation requirement as no big thing would be understating it. On top of everything else, the stress of getting to the events while brand new to TTown may IMHO make this a better second semester or second year class.</p>

<p>ok, no worries</p>

<p>^^^'</p>

<p>Who was your son’s prof? </p>

<p>Anyway…this concern is something that Dr. Jacqueline Morgan (asst dean of honors) should hear about since soooo many OOS kids are coming to campus. There should be a more formal carpool sign up situation in the class. If she is made aware of this, then perhaps she could give a “heads up” to those profs who teach these kinds of classes to have some kind of car pool set up available.</p>

<p>This is also an area where 348 RIDE should come into play…there should be the means for those who need to go to X event to meet in ONE spot and have 348 ride pick them up and take them…and return them when it’s over. 348-Ride has vans that hold like 8 or 9 kids at a time!</p>

<p>Jacqueline V. Morgan
Asst Dean - Honors College
205- 348-5574
<a href=“mailto:jacqueline.morgan@ua.edu”>jacqueline.morgan@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Of course, having evening classes that conflict is a different issue.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up. Dr. S had highly recommended this to my D, and she signed up for it last week at BB. She was told the same thing about transportation to events. However, she ended up dropping the class last night when a section of honors micro-economics that she wanted opened up. So no harm no foul. I do think it would be good to better communicate if there are real issues with transportation when/if a student sans car has no way to get to a “required” event … which can often be a no fault of the student if the “ride” somehow falls through.</p>

<p>*be good to better communicate if there are real issues with transportation when/if a student sans car has no way to get to a “required” event … which can often be a no fault of the student if the “ride” somehow falls through. *</p>

<p>Others can correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think any of the events have a “one time only” opportunity…so a student should have multiple opps to go…including using 348-ride.</p>

<p>That said…I still think this subject needs to come to the attention of Dr. S and Dr. M…since they would have some influence with the profs…and some influence with 348-ride about getting some coordination with transportation.</p>

<p>He had Dr. Morgan. You’re correct that many of the events were not one time only. It would be great to be able to use 348-Ride, although the problem events are farther off-campus than it goes. DS did walk 5+ miles to one up Rice Mine Rd. way, but realistically I don’t like that option.
In general I feel The University needs to develop more concrete plans for the many OOS students, esp. airport runs during BamaBound, things like this class. I would say lack of transportation options was the main unsolved issue we had last year, and even at that DS did find some solutions.</p>

<p>We are confused about the Honors Bio lab, honors bio is listed as 4 credits(Prin. of Bio 3 credits) but I don’t see the labs listed, or do they just pick one of the regular Prin of bio labs.</p>

<p>The honors labs are there… they follow honors bio…and they’re held in the SEC</p>

<p>They are sections BSC 118 002 thru…006</p>

<p>C 48509 BSC 118 002 MA 0.000 Honors General Biology I T 09:00 am-11:50 am 0 0 0 36 0 36 Nancy G. **Shefferly <a href=“P”>/B</a> 08/24-12/09 SEC 2412 Natural Science and University Honors</p>

<p>SR 48510 BSC 118 003 MA 0.000 Honors General Biology I T 12:00 pm-02:50 pm 38 37 1 2 0 2 Nancy G. Shefferly (P) 08/24-12/09 SEC 2412 Natural Science and University Honors</p>

<p>C 48511 BSC 118 004 MA 0.000 Honors General Biology I T 03:00 pm-05:50 pm 34 35 -1 2 0 2 Nancy G. Shefferly (P) 08/24-12/09 SEC 2412 Natural Science and University Honors</p>

<p>C 48512 BSC 118 005 MA 0.000 Honors General Biology I T 06:00 pm-08:50 pm 20 20 0 2 0 2 Nancy G. Shefferly (P) 08/24-12/09 SEC 2412 Natural Science and University Honors</p>

<p>C 49568 BSC 118 006 MA 0.000 Honors General Biology I TBA 0 0 0 0 0 0 TBA 08/24-12/09 TBA Natural Science and University Honors</p>

<p>*He had Dr. Morgan. You’re correct that many of the events were not one time only. It would be great to be able to use 348-Ride, although the problem events are farther off-campus than it goes. DS did walk 5+ miles to one up Rice Mine Rd. way, but realistically I don’t like that option.</p>

<p>In general I feel The University needs to develop more concrete plans for the many OOS students, esp. airport runs during BamaBound, things like this class. I would say lack of transportation options was the main unsolved issue we had last year, and even at that DS did find some solutions. *</p>

<p>I agree…and since honors kids are largely affected (since many are OOS), I think Dr. S and Dr. M need to influence some changes with these issues. </p>

<p>Organized shuttles to and from B’ham airport for BB should be arrangedd and announced ahead of time to give people a heads up for scheduling flight arrivals and departures.</p>

<p>And…arranging something with 348-ride to go beyond the “boundaries” when groups of kids use it for an Honors class “field trip.”</p>

<p>Those things could be arranged ahead of time .</p>