Honors College and Engineering

<p>If your major is in Engineering and your part of the honors college, how compatible this is? I considered Engineering at Purdue an honors college pretty much. I don't know how much can the Honors College can bring to the table other than additional load to your school year.</p>

<p>Anybody that is in both programs care to comment?</p>

<p>You have to take a two semester first year engineering (FYE) course when you come to Purdue:
Honors FYE is more credit hours and more work than the regular one. You get more motivated, smarter (overall) classmates. You get a heck of a lot more work than you would in the regular course. Lots of projects and homework that eat up time outside of class.</p>

<p>You will have to take 2 semesters of a 1 credit honors course in your first year. It’s not a whole lot of work, really.</p>

<p>After that, in order to graduate with honors, you have to get X credits in honors classes. You can do this by taking honors versions of your regular courses (yes, engineering has honors versions) or doing a special project on the side of a normal course (supervised by your prof).
At least 3 of those credits will have to be some course in the honors college (an HONR course, not an engineering one). Some HONR courses are interesting.</p>

<p>You get to live in the honors dorm your freshman year. You can be in the honors program (eligible for priority registration and honors housing) all four years without making any progress toward graduating with honors after your first-year required courses.</p>

<p>Yes, they are compatible. There are over 220 freshmen in honors engineering currently. They are trying to bring the numbers down slightly for next year (they got a higher yield than expected).</p>

<p>My son is in the Eng Honors Freshman class. Benefits: You live in the Honors Dorm, have very motivated team members for Engineering I projects, grades for engineering I are a B or A. Engineering I is very demanding esp for honors. Major benefits: You get personal help for scheduling classes - very helpful as my son went in with 25 credit hours and placed out of 2 semesters of Chem, 2 Semesters of Physics, and multiple Liberal Arts credits thus - he needed help with scheduling. He pursued and was granted permission to purse a minor in CS with help of counselor. He did attend a “road trip” to an engineering company and learned quite a bit and was able to pass around his resume hoping to land an internship. Now = that being said, following freshman year I do not see much benefit at all. The engineering honor societies are established, based on GPA and no hiring HR or engineering manager would understand “Engineering Purdue Honors Program”. They would understand GPA and the Engineering Honors Recognized Societies (Tau Beta Pi). For Freshman year, there is a good benefit. Beyond is to be determined.</p>

<p>I wanted to bring this thread up the chain since several posters were asking about Honors college.</p>

<p>My D was accepted into FYE. Last week, she got an e-mail for one of the Purdue Online Chat invitation for admitted students. It congratulates her for the acceptance to engineering and honors college. We did not aware of the acceptance to the honors college until that message. </p>