Honors College Application Questions

<p>Looking at the honors college application, it has an area to fill in for HS achievements, honors, and activities. Should this be a list with name of activity only, or should it include a description of involvement in the activity/honor/achievement to better describe it?</p>

<p>There is also an area to fill in for collegiate achievements,honors, and activities- should my son mention in there that he has taken community college courses, dual and early credit here? </p>

<p>For the UHP essay it states to "write a short essay about yourself, career goals, and the way which UHP will enrich… ". How long/short? How detailed are these? Is this one of those places that they are looking to see how well a student writes, or are they really trying to learn more about the student and guage interest/dedication? Possibly all 3? Will they look for a personality, or do they want a dry factual essay? </p>

<p>Thanks so much for feedback. My son really wants to get into CBHP, so this is important to him to get “just right!”</p>

<p>In looking at my daughters honors college application, the ACT is wrong. They have a 30, but her highest is a 32. She had to also send her 30 as that was the one with the writing. I guess she will have to call today</p>

<p>vlines … I think that there is a character limit to each f the boxes on the app, so for the achievements, etc. you will likely have to use the list approach.</p>

<p>Thanks Dad2ILD. I thought there would be a character limit, usually it says that somewhere though. I do see that they require a resume for the CBHP anyway, so I am thinking my son may need to revamp his resume a little to better explain his achievements/activities there.</p>

<p>The Honors College essay is just a quick introduction of yourself. If I remember right, my D’s essay was two or three paragraphs long. </p>

<p>The CBHP essay is one that she took her time on. This is the essay you want to focus your energy on (this one and Fellows - if your S is interested there also). </p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<p>Shamrockdad…it looks like they combined the CBHP with the UHP/IHP application this year. They are calling it a Unified application. The deadlines for the CBHp and UHP/IHP applications are on the same form. And it requires a resume to be attached if applying for CBHP. So maybe the process changed a little this year? Or maybe we will get another application later for the CBHP? University Fellows has a seperate application on the website that can be filled out AFTER acceptance to Honors. But there is not a seperate CBHP that I can find.</p>

<p>It sounds like it is the same from last year. The Honors College essay, IHP essay and CBHP were all on the same application. D did most of her essay in Word and then copied and pasted it over.</p>

<p>There is not a seperate essay for CBHP, they just have the one essay for UHP, and then attach your resume for CBHP.
It’s probably the same as last year, like you said. I am just not explaining it well. And it was not exactly what I expected to see.</p>

<p>We haven’t done it yet, but from glancing last night it appeared that after you input your UHP “short essay” – you checked a box to scan/find/attach your CBHP essay that will/should already be in a file on your PC (in final version) – then save all. I’m probably wrong, but that’s what we thought from looking at it.</p>

<p>Some general info in case needed…</p>

<p>“In looking at my daughters honors college application, the ACT is wrong. They have a 30, but her highest is a 32. She had to also send her 30 as that was the one with the writing. I guess she will have to call today” from Sniner</p>

<p>Above caused me to check my Daughters scores --could not see them (they were pushed off screen on the right)</p>

<p>Playing with it, I found that I had two email addresses for parents in “personal info” on mybama. I removed one of our email addresses, and now I can see everything. Just passing on.</p>

<p>If you won’t be applying to CBH or UFE, then listing details for the Honors College app is really unnecessary since UHP and IHP admit by stats. Just name a few best ECs and best awards and that’s fine.</p>

<p>Also, don’t worry about the essays…they are simply one paragraph essays to introduce yourself and such.</p>

<p>Only worry about the essays and other stuff if you’re applying to UFE or CBH. Those have competitive admissions, so showing leadership, etc, is important.</p>

<p>Since the new changes to the HC haven’t been announced yet, I can only think that they are still fiddling with the changes…or awaiting approval from the powers that be. </p>

<p>Don’t fret, the proposed changes are good and don’t matter with what people are doing now.</p>

<p>Sniner…contact admissions about the ACT issue…they’re probably the ones who input that info. Don’t just talk to whomever answers the phone…that can be a work-study student or some other person who doesn’t know about such things.</p>

<p>My recent conversations with the Honors College leads me to believe that the changes are not completely decided/finalized. </p>

<p>Sometimes the people that answer the phones do know what they are talking about. I used to answer the phones. :)</p>

<p>Will these changes affect those already in the HC?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>In a minor way…in a good way (I think). it won’t create any new req’ts or any burdens or anything like that.</p>

<p>*
Sometimes the people that answer the phones do know what they are talking about. I used to answer the phones.*</p>

<p>Well, sweetie, you’re not an average joe. You’re a well-informed person!!!</p>

<p>Look how long it took to get a definitive answer as to whether Riverside had stove tops or not in the common big kitchen!!!</p>

<p>Thanks mom2. I did call and they said a student can’t take two ACT’s for the same month, or at least the computer does not allow for it. However, both of my daughters ACTs where taken in April. One national exam date and one state administered exam date (30 with writing 32 without). Apparently the computer bumped the 32 and kept 30 with writing. Lady on phone said she would fix and honors application now shows 32 so I believe all is well.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Oh good! Those state administered ACTs have given some trouble in the past with a couple of kids…a phone call usually does the trick.</p>

<p>Hi-
My son just received his admission today and is trying to start filling out his CBHP application but the HC unified application won’t let him select the box for CBHP. Is anyone else having this problem? Thanks!
@mom2collegekids…thanks for encouraging son to apply to UA!</p>

<p>Same issue here momochan.</p>

<p>Yes, I have communicated with the local rep about this problem. She thinks that they have it blocked for anyone with a SAT score less than 1400 or ACT less than 32. She is checking on in it for me, since she and I both agree that it does not have any ACT/SAT scores that are part of admission. Only GPA requirements. If I hear anything, I will post here.</p>

<p>Thanks vlines. It will be interesting to find out, though I don’t think the test score minimum is the problem.</p>