Honors college/FYE

I’ve heard a mixed bag of opinions about being in the Honors College while in First Year Engineering, especially that the honors college is too much extra work to take on while in FYE. How true is this, and is it a worthwhile experience? Currently deciding whether to accept my honors college offer of admission.

1 Like

My D is a senior chemical engineer and has loved her honors college experience.

The honors FYE design class incorporates physics into the course so there is essentially one less class to take. The profs who teach honors eng design are awesome and my D thought it was the best class she took as a freshman. The only other requirement freshman year was the honors seminar class which is basically a how to be successful at Purdue in terms of presentation skills and team work. It’s a great way to meet fellow honors students too.

The honors dorm and honors advising are great, there are honors specific study abroad opportunities (with scholarship funding), tons of opportunities for leadership, research, and they make it easy to get the necessary honors credits as an upperclassman, and to do the scholarly project to graduate with honors.

My D landed her first internship through honors college too.

I’d 100% recommend accepting your honors admission.

1 Like

My daughter is in CS, not in FYE, but she also is having a wonderful experience in Honors College. The requirements aren’t really burdensome, but you can leave it after the first year if it isn’t a fit. You get out of what you put in, though. If you engage in the bare minimum, you get a nice dorm. But connect with those honors advisors, and they introduce you to opportunities you probably wouldn’t have discovered otherwise on a big campus.

1 Like

My daughter is also very pleased with the HC. She’s CS, not FYE, but I don’t know what the burdensome extra work would be. She had one HC 8-week class each semester - her favorite class, basically a seminar and an easy A.

The dorm is great and she’s had very positive interactions with the various counselors.

Unless there’s some unique, additional work required for FYE students, I would recommend accepting the offer.

1 Like

I am so glad you asked this question. I had the very same question.