Honors College - Late Bama Bound session

I understand that Honors students receive some preferences/priority when it comes to class schedule selection. For an incoming honors student as a freshman, with a late Bama Bound session (late July), how does that work. It would seem that many classes will already be filled by the students attending the earlier Bama Bound sessions.

They keep a number of spots open and release them incrementally with each session.

Edited to add: incoming freshmen get NO advantage in registering their 1st semester, but I still believe the school, in general, holds open spots for later registrants. All the other schools I know about do it that way.

Right…Priority Registration does not occur during Fall registration for frosh year. You’ll experience the priority registration in October when you register for Spring.

And, yes, seats for various frosh classes are released each BB session. However, if you’re wanting 2XX classes or higher, those will not have seats released for each BB.

Be aware that it’s up to each department to set seats aside for later BB sessions. In our experience, some departments do it, and others don’t.

It also doesn’t make a darned bit of difference! Take what you can get and, if necessary, fill the rest of your schedule with underwater basket weaving . . . and then be patient. :slight_smile: Once everyone arrives on campus in August, students will start dropping classes like hot potatoes - just be prepared to grab the empty seats you want as soon as they become available! Best time of day to check for openings? Late at night. This is where the entire family can get into the act - have everybody take turns checking for open seats. By the time the drop/add period ends (one week after classes start), I’d be surprised if you don’t have every class you want.

And, as already noted, priority registration for Honors students will make all future registration sessions smooth sailing. :slight_smile: (But they won’t be nearly as much fun as that first one!)

Just the other day, son got notification (as I assume others did as well) via mybama that ALL waitlist requests have been dropped/denied/reset, and it was suggested that students seek other arrangements. I’m presuming UA did this in prep for BBs…but it still sucks as a Senior that his waitlist request had now been automatically cancelled, after he had discussed with no fewer than 5 people (heads of dept, professors, and advisors) to get himself on the waitlist in the first place due to conflicts (class is not in his college, not needed for his degree, but still…).

Why doesn’t UA want to keep the waitlists anymore? (I know wait-lists look bad…but it at least it gives students hope and a place in line, so to speak…) This auto cancellation process started happening about 2 years ago, if I recall. It used to be that a student could add themselves to waitlists, but no longer. Any ideas? Or am I missing something?