Honors college visit

<p>Hi Bama nation,</p>

<p>Just a quick question. Do we need to schedule the regular college tour and info session as well as the honors college visit? Or, can we jut visit the honors college?</p>

<p>Also, can someone post the contact info for the honors college visit coordinators?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I have recommended that people do both the tour as well as the HC visit. They address different things. UA isn’t all about the HC. My S is not in some sequestered honors bubble on campus. Also, Mom2K will chime in, but be sure to arrange your HC visit with Alison and direct her as to what specific things you wish to see/do while down there. Sit in on a class if you can, tour different departments, etc. Talk with students! </p>

<p>The general tour is helpful as taking the bus around gives you a good lay of the land and the guide offers a little bit of history of the area and of the various buildings. I also found being in the general tour just plain interesting for meeting all walks of life, both students and parents. Some will argue that the general info tour is a let-down (after having a personally handcrafted honors tour, yes, it might be), but I appreciated both. Had my S not attended the general rah-rah session the day after our honors tour, and had the further chance to talk with student ambassadors who could dispel some concerns, he would not be at UA now. So I am very grateful we took that general tour. You never know what it is that will make a place click for your student. It’s good to get different perspectives. </p>

<p>The larger University Days tours are extra special because you can pick up all sorts of mementos from the various booths they have set up in the Ferg. I wonder what factory workers in China think of all that houndstooth…?</p>

<p>Roll tide roll!!!</p>

<p>first set up the campus tour online…try for an early morning time! Don’t bother with the “info session”, you’ll get that info here pretty much on the Alabama forum on College Confidential which is VERY active.*</p>

<p>In the email include:</p>

<p>Student’s name and contact info</p>

<p>Date and time of the Campus tour that you’ve reserved.</p>

<p>GPA and test scores (include NMSF status)</p>

<p>Likely majors*</p>

<p>Career interests (including med, law, etc)</p>

<p>Anything particular that you want to see. *If you have an interest in seeing the new Science and Engineering Complex, let them know.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Allison and her assistant will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with faculty related to major, honors college faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Sometimes mail goes to their SPAM folders, so call them if you haven’t heard back within a few business days. These ladies do an excellent job and work very hard</p>

<p>My D did the tour and enjoyed it. She skipped the info session because it would have cut into her honors visit.</p>

<p>Much appreciated!</p>

<p>Son didn’t have time for the bus tour as he had the whole day planned with his honors tour. He liked what he saw/heard so he is now a freshman at Alabama. However, I my hs junior son and I took the bus tour last October when visiting and loved it. We found out alot of facts about the university…alot that my freshman son didn’t even know. I thought the bus tour was definitely worth it IF you have the time.</p>

<p>Do the tour. It was worth the time.</p>