Honors college visit

<p>Ok, so our HC visit is all set. The staff did a terrific job of putting together our itinerary. We are already impressed and we haven’t left home yet!</p>

<p>Here’s my question. My D has the stats to receive the OOS full tuition scholarship. Obviously we are pumped and grateful. I hope this doesn’t sound too greedy, but I remember seeing something that said she might be eligible for more merit aid because of her GPA. Any truth to this?? Thanks!</p>

<p>GPA and test scores are used to determine qualification for the university wide scholarships (Capstone, Scholar, Presidential, etc). There are departmental scholarships that are also based on GPA/test scores. Some are automatic and some are competitive. You must declare a major (at least within a department) to be considered.</p>

<p>There are the Alumni Scholarships, but these have additional requirements (child of alumni).</p>

<p>UFE is a competitive program and you must be invited to apply. Thresh hold is very high and review is more holistic - your experience in leadership and social engagement are considered, and your essay plays heavily in decision. Only 10 or so receive the UFE Academic Elite Scholarship, and they are usually not from OOS.</p>

<p>NMF is automatic if you are named a Finalist (must provide proof to admissions). </p>

<p>Not sure what other merit scholarships you are referring to. UA has one of the most transparent merit progams I’ve come across. I don’t know of any hidden or secret merit programs at UA.</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of additional merit aid for high GPA. This would be unusual, as different high schools grade differently and there are a number of kids who come to Alabama with perfect GPAs. Exceptional test scores are more rare and I have heard of additional money for kids with super high scores. There also might be additional awards if a student is in CBH or UFE and gets one of their awards (CBH Fellowship or Academic Elite scholarship).</p>

<p>Here’s my question. My D has the stats to receive the OOS full tuition scholarship. Obviously we are pumped and grateful. I hope this doesn’t sound too greedy, but I remember seeing something that said she might be eligible for more merit aid because of her GPA. Any truth to this?? Thanks</p>

<p>Where did you read that? I don’t think that’s true. Sometimes students in Arts and Science majors who have an ACT 35/36 (or similar SAT) will get extra money.</p>

<p>Never heard of extra money for the GPA since most scholarship kids already have sky-high GPAs. Many/most scholarship kids have 4.X GPAs from all of their APs.</p>

<p>What is your D’s major? What are her test scores and GPA?</p>