Honors College

<p>Only grades through the end of junior year are considered. From the FAQ on the Scholarships page of the UA website:</p>

<p>“If my high school GPA is below the required GPA for the Capstone, Collegiate, UA Scholar, or Presidential Scholarship, and I raise it during my senior year in high school, will it be reviewed for the scholarship offer?
No. Grade point averages for 9th through 11th grade are the only years reviewed for these scholarships.”</p>

<p>*Can you apply for the OOS scholarships even if you have below a 3.5 then send them a final transcript(for first semester) that has a 3.5 gpa and still recieve a scholarship? *</p>

<p>The ASSURED scholarships require a 3.5 from grades 9-11.</p>

<p>However, The Scholarships office considers those who have stats that are below the req’ts for their “extra scholarships”. Those scholarships are awarded in the spring. </p>

<p>So, if you get your GPA up, then send the transcript. </p>

<p>What is your weighted GPA for grades 9-11 that includes **all **classes?</p>

<p>Bama includes ALL classes…PE, electives, religion classes, etc for GPA purposes. If your school doesn’t weight GPA, then ask them to write your weighted GPA on your transcript when it’s sent.</p>

<p>Yayy! Good because my gpa dropped after i took a summer course but it shows up as a Fall 2012 course! Thanks so much! :)</p>

<p>So, what is your weighted GPA for grades 9-11? </p>

<p>(BTW…I think you mean Fall 2011???)</p>

<p>* "The ASSURED scholarships require a 3.5 from grades 9-11.</p>

<p>However, The Scholarships office considers those who have stats that are below the req’ts for their “extra scholarships”. Those scholarships are awarded in the spring. " *</p>

<p>Does that mean that in the following situation:</p>

<p>I apply on time for scholarships and have a 3.65 GPA and 1320 SAT</p>

<p>that I could receive the 2/3rd tuition scholarship even though my SAT is 10 points under the minimum? Or do you mean that the subjective scholarships (not automatic) do not require certain GPA’s and test scores?</p>

<p>How and when do you hear about acceptance into the honors program? My daughter applied weeks ago and has not heard back.</p>

<p>moneybags: has she checked her crimson.ua.edu email? I kept checking my personal email, waiting for information, but the acceptance email was in my crimson account the whole time.</p>

<p>*"The ASSURED scholarships require a 3.5 from grades 9-11.</p>

<p>However, The Scholarships office considers those who have stats that are below the req’ts for their “extra scholarships”. Those scholarships are awarded in the spring. " </p>

<p>===============================================</p>

<p>Does that mean that in the following situation:</p>

<p>I apply on time for scholarships and have a 3.65 GPA and 1320 SAT</p>

<p>that I could receive the 2/3rd tuition scholarship even though my SAT is 10 points under the minimum? Or do you mean that the subjective scholarships (not automatic) do not require certain GPA’s and test scores? *</p>

<p>It can mean either. It just depends on what the situation is in the spring. </p>

<p>I would strongly recommend that you retest in Dec and send in those scores. You’d be more likely to get that award if you did get the 1330 in Dec…altho it wouldn’t be assured.</p>

<p>My weighted was exactly 3.5 for 9-11. Yeah I meant 2011.</p>

<p>Hi All–if my S has the GPA (3.7) for the Honors College, but misses the ACT score, can he still apply? The scholarship page does show UHP checked off, hence my question. Is there a chance of admission without the ACT score? He has other great qualifications, EC’s, job, etc…not clear to me if it makes sense for him to complete or not. Thanks for any guidance!</p>

<p>I would have him apply even though your son doesn’t meet every qualification. See what happens.</p>

<p>Here is some more info. in case he doesn’t make it in right away.</p>

<p>Apply
To apply to the Honors College after you have been accepted to the University:</p>

<p>•Log in into mybama,
•Click on the Academics tab
•Click on Honors College Application located under the Admissions section. </p>

<p>Incoming or prospective students may apply to Honors College after they have been admitted to The University of Alabama. Admission to the Honors College requires a 28 ACT or 1250 SAT. You will be notified of your acceptance via email. (If your test scores are below the Honors College requirement, you can be admitted later after you have successfully achieved a 3.3 in your college coursework.)</p>

<p>For incoming students applying for or after fall 2012, an additional requirement of a minimum 3.3 high school GPA is required for admission to the Honors College.</p>

<p>Current UA students with a 3.3 GPA or transfer students with a 3.3 GPA will be accepted into the University Honors Program (UHP) upon submission of their applications. You will be notified of your acceptance via email.</p>

<p>Current UA students with a 3.3 GPA or transfer students with a 3.3 GPA will be accepted into the International Honors Program (IHP) upon submission of their applications. You will be notified of your acceptance via email.</p>

<p>Cuttlefish123, thanks for the data points, I did see that info on the Honors College page too. That is why I wondered what to do, since the UHP box was already pre-checked on my S’s myBama page. Since his GPA is higher, he can try applying…worst case, it’s a no and he can try later in freshman year.</p>

<p>Anyone know if UHP will accept letters of recommendation in support of an Honors application? Maybe that would help?</p>

<p>Nova88: Did you find out the answer about recs for Honors College?</p>

<p>Hi Cuttlefish, no, not yet. My S is completing the honors app this week. I asked him to email his counselor about the rec question. I’ll let you know what we find out. Thanks for checking in!</p>

<p>the character limit is a killer on the honors application!</p>

<p>What is the character limit on the honors app?</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>Unless you’re applying to CBH or UFE, don’t write a long essay. Just write a couple of sentences to introduce yourself.</p>

<p>the UHP is 2000 CHARACTERS, the CBHP is 4000 CHARACTERS. That is including spaces as characters. </p>

<p>Try to give your best descriptive answer about yourself in 4000 characters or less. My son had a really hard time with this. He wrote an essay that was good, then had to cut it by more than 1/2. ACK!!</p>