Honors College

People who got honors college–how and when were you notified?

Maybe S didn’t get it but I thought they hadn’t gone out yet. I know that was the case as of last week.

@s16s18s21s25 Really? Some of the people who got trustees also claimed to have gotten honors college invitations. And somewhere in the scholarships thread, someone posted that Honors College and presidential scholarship notifications would go out by Feb 8.

On the facebook admitted student page, there have been varying messages about mid February or throughout the month. S got presidential scholarship last week, but hasn’t heard about honors. He might not have gotten it, no big deal.

Just looked at FB again–notifications go out form December through February.

I received a scholarship on December 22nd which also invited me into the Honors College. I’m apart of the Facebook groups for the class of 2020 and no one else has posted about being invited to the Honors College yet so I don’t think invitations have been set out yet.

S just got the email a minute ago inviting him to Honors.

@s16s18s21s25 Hi, I’m seeing you very active on this forum. I’ve also been admitted into CS but I didn’t apply EA so I don’t think there is a chance for me to be get into this program now. I just don’t want to miss out anything nice. Would I be able to apply for this program in the upcoming years? Is honors college that big of a deal?

I think I read you can apply to honors later–look at the honors info on the website. I’m posting a decent amount because I think S will go to Purdue, but unfortunately I don’t know more than anybody else who has looked at the site. I’m not sure how big a deal it is, and I’m pretty sure it comes with no money or anything, but I guess it’s a way to distinguish yourself. Some people have posted it’s a pain to take the classes, but you have to take something, and some of the honors classes looked pretty interesting, even for a CS major like my S who has little interest outside that area.

My D is a junior at Purdue and was accepted into the honors college. Like most Honors colleges the biggest advantage was to have the first opportunity to register for classes which is a nice benefit. I don’t know what CS majors will do (as opposed to Computer Engineering) but I do know the Honors FYE courses moved faster and were more comprehensive than the standard FYE courses.

@s16s18s21s25 @lvvcsf Thank you guys!

@s16s18s21s25 Hey, congratulations to you and your son!

Thanks! Just need to hear from 2 more schools then we will likely be committing to Purdue. I’m looking forward to our visit in a couple of weeks, hope to get some more insight into HC then.

not only do you get to pick your classes first you get to pick housing first too

It looks like there is a visit day (April 9) for those accepted into honors (golden honors day). Does anyone know if this would replace the “Purdue’s for me” visit we already have scheduled, or should we do both if we can?

Just wondering if anyone accepted to FYE who didn’t get scholarship has received email re:Honors College?

We did the PFM day so probably aren’t going to the honors day (6 hour drive for us). I did see how the new honors dorm is about a 1 minute walk from the computer science building, and verified that all incoming honors invites will have space in the honors dorm. I don’t think S realizes how rare it is to be in a brand new dorm. The location is fantastic, close to everything. In case you hadn’t looked, they also have a time lapse capture of the construction of the dorm–one picture per day for the last year+. It’s pretty neat watching it go up. I don’t think it will have its own dining hall–you have to go to the dorms next door for that–but to me it is absolutely ideal. Can’t wait for S to finally click the accept button!!

does anyone know if honors invitations are done being sent out? Recently got some from other schools, wondering about Purdue.

@purduebound4 I received mine a about 2-3 weeks ago. E-mail first, and then a letter a few weeks after.

Anybody else surprised to see a couple of short essay questions when trying to accept the offer?