Honors Day and the Tapping on the Mound Ceremony

<p>For all of us that are new to UA, I was hoping some of the UA CC veterans might tell us about these events. What is the day like? And what is the Tapping on the Mound Ceremony? Thanks!</p>

<p>My experience was as a student almost 40 years ago! Mortar Board, Jasons, and Omicron Delta Kappa (and maybe Order of Omega, not sure) use the Mound as a stage for calling out new members of their honors organizations. Students gather around the Mound for the announcements…it’s a surprise to most of the inductees. My sorority sisters contacted my parents and made sure they were there (I was surprised as this is not something they usually attended). After the tapping, the organization hosts a reception somewhere and gives instructions to the inductees about their first meetings etc. It’s a fun day…and it seems like there’s always a tornado warning!</p>

<p>The Mound is on the Quad, at the southwest corner near the library. It is actually the foundation of one of the original buildings on the Quad, pre-Civil War.</p>

<p>Our experience has been that it’s a quick naming of the tapped students. I’m unaware of any post reception. Either way, if you’re already going to be in Ttown that’s one thing, but to travel any distance for this would likely be a disappointment.</p>

<p>However, if your child has numerous recognitions that day, you might wish to attend, but only if the cost isn’t going to be an issue.</p>

<p>Thanks all. We do have to travel a distance to get there. However, we do not want to miss something we should be there for. Sometimes it is hard to gauge how important/special events are without past experience.</p>

<p>I do think that most of the organizations make an effort to let parents know that their children will be tapped. Like Southlander, my sorority sisters let my parents know that they should be on the quad for the tappings. (Funny thing is I clearly remember my Mortar Board tapping, but have no recollection at all of ODK even though they should have been equally emotionally significant. I guess there is just nothing quite like being hit on the head from behind with a mortar board!)</p>

<p>What kind of things are students “tapped” for?</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>The Coordinating Council for Honor Societies sends a letter to parents letting them know that their child will be tapped for The Anderson Society, Blue Key, Mortar Board, and/or ODK. These are the groups that participate in the Tapping on the Mound ceremony on Honors Day. Other groups will tap their new members at other times during the week at various locations and will have current members notify the parents.</p>

<p>Most (maybe all?) are for current juniors. Some of the groups require an application and some do not.</p>

<p>In addition to the Tapping on the Mound ceremony, departments hold their own events acknowledging students they’ve selected for honors awards. Here’s the letter my son received:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Holy Pineapples! That’s Great!!!</p>

<p>Congrats to your son Malanai! What a wonderful honor. The letter we received is vague as to the exact honor or award. </p>

<p>“Due to your son or daughter’s academic acheivements, community and campus involvement, and focus on service, he or she has been selected for at least one senior honorary or will be receiving an Outstanding Award…We cordially invite you to join us at the Tapping on the Mound ceremony”. Then it goes on to list 4 societies that are involved.</p>

<p>My son has no knowledge of being selected for anything. He also said that a student had to apply to these societies. He did not. That is why I was asking. Though we would not want to miss an important event, we do live far away. That is why I was attempting to gather more information. I search the BAMA website and tried to call the Office of the Coordinating Council for Honor Societies (be it appears that they are closed for Spring Break).</p>

<p>Does anyone else have knowledge of this event?</p>

<p>^^^Thank you. :)</p>

<p>Malanai: Congratulations to your son, as always…well done!!</p>

<p>Congrats to your son, Malanai! We had a great visit on your island and your recommendations were perfect! I will PM you our experience. Thank you! My D got the same letter for the tapping ceremony as the letter that was removed. Is it just for grades and there will tons of freshmen there with a great GPA fall semester? Or is it really something special. My D is involved but does not think she did anything amazing to separate herself from others.</p>

<p>i know this isn’t a brag on your kid thread, but it seems as good a place as any …</p>

<p>my daughter is going to be inducted into the order of omega, which is a greek honor society. i am not sure of the specifics, but it is the top few percent of the greeks.</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>they are not involved in the tapping, i don’t guess. they will have an induction and a reception sometime soon.</p>

<p>hard to believe that three years have passed so quickly (though it didn’t seem so quick for the first year or so).</p>

<p>Mike - Congrats to your daughter. It does seem hard to believe it has been three years. I started reading this forum at the same time as my son was a senior in high school when your daughter started UA. Time does fly. Congrats again, on a job well done.</p>

<p>Congrats to those with kids getting tapped and/or awards!</p>

<p>Congratulations to all the students of the CC parents who were honored. Those of you who did not post, feel free to brag (this includes you, robotbldmom)!</p>

<p>And Mike, this is the BEST place to brag, even for the un-American parents who don’t like bacon. :)</p>

<p>My son certainly saw plenty of your students earning honors. He was the young man dressed in the seersucker jacket and bow tie serving as the “master of ceremonies” for all that mound tapping. </p>

<p>Just before the ceremony, he also learned he was named Phi Beta Kappa.</p>

<p>Congrats to momreads son!</p>