Honors dorm cleaning, supplies, etc

<p>Are students responsible for cleaning their own suites and bathrooms? If so, do they also need to get their own detergents, mops, etc.? What about light bulbs, plungers, toilet paper, etc.? These things vary from school to school.</p>

<p>Students living in the super-suites are responsible for cleaning their own suites…bedroom, bath, common living area. They are not responsible for lightbulbs in fixtures. They are responsible for all supplies. We found a swiffer type mop,small vacuum cleaner (about $25 at Target or Walmart), and Mr. Clean magic eraser bathroom cleaner work really well. And yes, they need to bring a trash can and toilet paper for their in-suite bathroom. They will also need all of their own laundry supplies and detergent and a plunger is handy to have.</p>

<p>adding: silverware, dishes, cups, dish detergent, sponge, drying rack, pots, pans, microwave utensils, pyrex casserole dishes, serving utensils, oven mitts, trivet, anything else for kitchen use. Obviously, it depends on how much cooking your child will do. </p>

<p>If using the ovens: cookie sheets, foil, spatula, measuring cups, pots and pans. My D wanted to bake cookies and cakes for her friend’s birthdays. </p>

<p>Just think of what your child might want to cook or bake and bring those items.</p>

<p>When my kids moved into honors, we generally brought…</p>

<p>very lg pack of TP (like Sam’s Club big pack)</p>

<p>very lg pack of paper towels</p>

<p>Anti-bacterial multi-use Windex</p>

<p>toilet tablets or similar</p>

<p>toilet bowl cleaner</p>

<p>Pump hand soap and hand towels</p>

<p>Laundry stuff…detergent, spot remover (I like Resolve by Spray & Wash spray in the green bottle), dryer sheets, and Oxyclean powder. Some kind of hamper</p>

<p>a variety of over-the-counter meds…tylenol, motrin, cold remedies, allergy meds, band-aids, etc. </p>

<p>Confer with suitemates to determine who will bring…</p>

<p>Swiffer and wet pads
small vacuum (small cheapie one is fine)
broom and
plungers and toilet bowl brush (need set for each bathroom)
various kitchen stuff…can opener, paper plates, coffee pot, dish soap, dish scrubber, etc.</p>

<p>Wouldn’t it make sense to just order everything listed here to be delivered to campus, with cost split by the suitemates?</p>

<p>^^ Hoping somehow Chardo’s kid and my kids are roommates.</p>

<p>There is really no need for two plungers or two toilet brushes unless you like having both bathrooms look the exact same. When a toilet is plugged, I file a maintenance order and two guys come with a plumbing snake (auger) to fix it the next business day. The cleaning crew also has a plunger students are welcome to borrow. The only problem that arises is if you need either on a weekend.</p>

<p>In terms of cleaning supplies, I bring a toilet brush and cleaner, foaming shower cleaner, surface cleaner, and a couple old towels. A Swiffer is also a good idea. Kitchen supplies and toiletries are on a separate part of my packing list.</p>

<p>Publix usually has good sales on cleaning supplies during August should you forget to purchase any cleaning supplies beforehand.</p>

<p>^^ hey, you never know. Maybe we can make a match.</p>

<p>Chardo…</p>

<p>I agree, but unless the roomies really communicate well before hand, it’s often not that easy. </p>

<p>My younger son knew his roomie and he was given the Sam’s Club and Walmart shopping task to get all the stuff which was then split. but, older son didn’t find that easy communication between his future roomies.</p>

<p>And, some kids already have some of the stuff at home. Some parents have been buying “here and there” preparing for move in. </p>

<p>If you know that everyone is on board with the Plan, and willing to pay their share, then it’s cool. </p>

<p>My sister was never paid for the stuff that was supposed to be split between her son and his roomie. Sometimes getting money from teens can be an issue. Some don’t have parents who’ll pay, some are just moochers, etc.</p>

<p>lol Seatide…often when a toilet is clogged, the user WANTS to immediately unclog it…so having a plunger RIGHT THERE is a good thing!</p>

<p>^ yeah, for a clogged toilet, next business day is not an option.</p>

<p>Chardo -
splitting works in theory but often roommates (esp. guys) don’t contact each other except for a quick “Hi I’m X, here’s my email,” and wouldn’t even consider planning together.
Also there’s the issue of splitting things up at the end of the year. DS brings his own small set of kitchen items, plates, cups, potholders etc., small vacuum, some cleaning supplies etc., and then takes it from there. We look at it as not counting on your roommates to even be there, need to be self-sufficient enough to make sure your needs for cleanliness etc. are met. Roommate contracts are great in theory but if you stick with making someone else do their turn at cleaning the toilet it just may not get done. Definitely a big pack of paper towels and TP at move in. Ice Cube Trays! This is the end of year two and he’s still working on the roll of garbage bags we sent as a frosh.
I say make a list and add to it over the summer, there’s nothing you can’t grab later in TTown (Publix) or send by Amazon.</p>