Honors Dorms

I’m planning on going to A&M next fall, and doing the University Honors program, which means staying in the honors dorms. I recently learned during the National Scholars program that you can’t choose your roomate because it’s a “low level challenge”. I wanted to know about anyone’s experience with this?

Both my kids were in University Honors and lived in McFadden, the most recent was last year. Overall I’d say it’s positive. Being able to roommate match would be an improvement. One of mine was reasonably good friends with his roomate. The other did not get along with their roomate, they were completely opposite personalities and not in a good way. McFadden continues to have AC issues. Had to wash the last child’s clothes entirely to get rid of the mildew odor from the room. It is nice to have only 2 sharing a bathroom.

@aggiedadtimes2 Yuck… I can’t even imagine how bad that mildew odor was especially mixed with teenage boy smell. :-q Your info about McFadden seriously makes me change my mind about suggesting the honor’s dorm for my son. He wants Hullabaloo and, after this news, he gets it! Thank you ^:)^

@trish02 I currently live in the Honors Housing (4th floor Mcfadden) and it’s amazing. I love the community and the dorms are actually pretty nice. We haven’t had any problems with our AC other than having to turn it down bc it’s always freezing. With any dorm, there are going to be things that go wrong every now and again, but maintenance is great about taking care of problems quickly. My shower broke, I submitted a work order and it was fixed the next day.

@Laurenjw My roomie and I are like best friends. I only know of one person who doesn’t get along with their roomie, and that’s because he’s super studious and responsible and his roommate parties A LOT. They can get along and talked for a while on the unofficial groupme that we have for honors, they just don’t talk anymore and that works for them. They also ran against each other for Lechner/McFadden (jointly called Lechfadden) president. As long as you set boundaries and expectations, you should be fine with your roomie. Your RA will definitely be there to make sure everything is good too.