Honors Essay

<p>My son hasn’t gotten his acceptance yet, but as I understand it, once he is accepted he will then need to apply to the honors college. Once he’s accepted into the honors college (how long does that usually take?) we will want to pay the enrollment deposit and housing fee. </p>

<p>In case this all happens fairly quickly, does anyone have the essay prompt for the honors college admission? I would like to get my son working on it now so it is ready to go when the acceptance comes in.</p>

<p>(As of this morning, they finally have all the required documentation.)</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>The Honors essay is really just a paragraph to introduce yourself unless your son is applying to Fellows or CBHP.<br>
The prompt if you will is…Write a short essay about yourself, your career goals, and the way in which you expect the University Honors Program to enrich your academic experience at UA. But since the Honors program admissions (at least UHP) is based on objective criteria (ACT 28, SAT 1250 and 3.3 GPA) he shouldn’t worry about it. Good luck!</p>

<p>Sorry I didn’t respond to the timing part of your question…when he applies he will get an email sent to his Crimson email account telling him his app has been received and it says they notify you within 3 weeks. My son heard back in 8 days (calendar not business). </p>

<p>It is my understanding that making the housing deposit really just gets his spot in line so I wouldn’t wait to hear back from Honors just go ahead and get the deposit in once he is accepted to the university itself as the students don’t actually select dorms, rooms or anything else related to housing until spring.</p>

<p>That’s very helpful…thank you!</p>

<p>wdaveo…</p>

<p>If you’re waiting to deposit because you’re wondering if your child will be admitted to honors, you don’t have to wait for that.</p>

<p>honors admissions is ASSURED for all that apply who have the above-mentioned stats, your child will definitely be admitted. Admission is NOT competitive…it is assured for stats.</p>

<p>And as said above, the essay is a “no biggie”. The HC has said to just write a couple sentences about yourself. The “essay” (which really doesn’t amount to an “essay”) does not affect admissions. It’s just an intro about yourself. </p>

<p>Same with the mentioning of all awards, etc. No need to spend a lot of time with that either.</p>

<p>EXCEPTIONS…If you’re applying to CBH and/or UFE then **THOSE **essays matter and of course, ECs & awards matter as well for that.</p>

<p>OK, great. We are still waiting on the college admission…they just received the ACT scores yesterday. But once he is admitted, we will go ahead and make our deposit.</p>

<p>I heard back about my honors acceptance within 4 days of sending my app, so maybe he’ll hear as fast as I did.</p>

<p>My D heard back from UHP very quickly as well - I think it was either 2 or 3 days from when she submitted the honors application.</p>