Honors housing decisions?

<p>Anyone heard anything about honors housing? I would think they would be coming out sometime soon as they just recently made admissions decisions. I saw on a previous thread that they offer a few scholarships only to students who agree to stay in honors housing. Anyone know about that?</p>

<p>All I know is that you have to be "invited" to join Honors housing, but I haven't heard a thing. I'm not sure, but maybe this doesn't happen until some time after May 1, when people start sending in their acceptances.</p>

<p>I doubt that, I have a feeling they are going to get all scholarship notifications out before may 1 because it will make a huge difference in picking which school to go to. Honors has to be competing for some good students and they are going to want to let them know that it would be so much cheaper to go to VT over <em>insert school</em> and thats why they should choose VT.</p>

<p>I know that honors housing would be a push to VT's direction, UVa does neat Echols/Rodman housing first year that I could be in :p</p>

<p>Okay, whatever - if I remember tonight, I'll ask my husband and son to inquire about this while they are at VT tomorrow (they are on the road now). Maybe somone will be able to give them some answers about that.</p>

<p>yeah, this whole situation is a little ambiguous and shady. Maybe we'll find out shortly.</p>

<p>There was an honors housing interview weekend about two weeks ago. There is space for only about 40 freshman. My D's friend received her acceptance, and a small scholarship, 2 days ago. General honors acceptances also are being mailed about now.</p>

<p>I just called and they said that letters went out early last week for honors housing, and if you haven't gotten one then it means you didn't get selected. She also said that if you don't get honors housing then you can't get a scholarship. :(</p>

<p>Oh well. so much for that.</p>

<p>Yep</p>

<p>I sent an email and they said that it was very competative and they had limited spots blah blah blah.</p>

<p>They did say that additional spots may become available over the summer and that they will contact you if you are selected.</p>

<p>I get to actually visit the college I'm going to (VT) for the first time this weekend for the hokie focus.</p>

<p>(I hope I like it!)</p>

<p>As far as housing is concerned there only 200 spaces in the Honors dorm and there are around 1400 honors students. </p>

<p>Ehiunno don't give up hope. My s just received a partial scholarship offer not through the honors college but through the financial aid office.</p>

<p>Well, my problem is this.</p>

<p>I do not wish to offend anyone, but I don't necessarily fit in with the average VT student. That is I don't drink much, nor do I really party (aside from LAN parties, call me a nerd), and for the most part I dont like to be around people that act this way every night and aren't on a certain intellectual level.</p>

<p>Basically, if I didn't find a friend of mine that is going to VT next year to room with, I have a feeling I would absolutely hate living with my roommate. Sure, I could live in Galileo, but I am split between engineering and physics.</p>

<p>So yeah, I would have really liked to be in honors housing so I could get away from the average 'less than studious' student, I don't want to get stuck in housing with someone who parties every night and doesn't care for their studies.</p>

<p>Ehiunno, too bad I can't get you and my son together. Similar as far as partying (except for LAN and poker)...but I don't know about the intellectual part. I find that particular label to be quite misleading unless you are actually side by side having a conversation. I've chatted w/ a so-called intellectual who was a condescending bore. But then there was another "intellectual" who stimulated the wildest discussions ....
I guess you'll have to chance it, and hope for the best. Oh, and my s decided on the way home today that he is going to VT. He seems extremely relieved to have the whole decision process behind him now. And he's so laid-back to begin with...</p>

<p>ha, i know the kind of person your talking about.</p>

<p>I've also met plenty of people who consider themselves intellectuals, but only manage to make hand-wavy nonsensical statements. When i say intellectual level, I really mean someone genuinely concerned with their studies, and fairly intelligent. Too many students at tech have a party repuation.</p>

<p>And for the record, I have gone from being fairly confident I want to do engineering, to split between eng and physics (maybe even 60% leaning towards physics). So at this point, the strength of the physics program is about as important as engineering for me, which from what I can tell it seems tech does very well. They have a solid record of getting kids into top REU programs (even a couple into an MIT one on quantum computing mmmmm...), and I saw a number of graduates attending MIT, Caltech, and other big names in physics.</p>

<p>anyways, I am going to be making that list you reccommended shortly, probably after I revisit all of the campuses. Hopefuly i will be able to make a decision by May 1 (if not, its to the darts... lol)</p>

<p>Revisiting is good, especially if you can talk to people in the programs of interest at each place. That's what really clinched it for my s, talking to profs and students in the computer sci/eng programs. He just felt that VT had it all.</p>

<p>Any chance you can double major (gulp)? Good luck to you - it seems like you will be between a rock and a hard place. In that case, look to the creature comforts next (food and relaxation)! Make sure there is a satisfactory outlet for letting off steam, and I don't mean partying. I find that my s and his so-called nerdy friends do quite well taking study breaks by throwing frisbees, playing pool, poker, and video games, and working out at the gym. Whatever works for you, make sure your school of choice has those kinds of options.</p>

<p>My s was pleased to find that VT's student activities building was full of pool tables and bowling lanes, and, when he was there this past week, the drillfield was full of kids playing around. That's the kind of "partying" he seems to prefer.</p>

<p>P.S. Love the "hand-wavy nonsensical statements"....lol, I know exactly what you mean!</p>

<p>yeah, that is definitely something I have been thinking about (the double major). I heard of a kid at tech doing a double major in mechanical engineering and physics, so its definitely possible, but I can't imagine what he goes through. Its like saying "Tech has a reputation for being impossibly hard for engineering, so I am going to combine that with the next hardest possible major because I am absolutely insane." I believe the kid is an absolute genius or something, he was all over the tech physics website for wining awards and scholarships, which means he managed to keep a 3.4+ GPA with that load. :O!!!</p>

<p>What I may do is try to organize a pseudo engineering physics, where I major in physics but take a number of engineering courses as electives (the required non-major ones) and then maybe a couple of extra electronics classes. That would set me up for a neat engineering physics with a solid state concentration thing. I have also toyed with a number of other set ups, when I really look at it from a different perspective, I realize I am truly blessed to have all of these opportunities and options. There are so many cool things to work on.</p>

<p>Ahh the creature comforts of Tech are indeed killer. The food is excellent, and I am a huge fan of bowling, pool, and frisbee for letting off steam.</p>

<p>There you go... creature comforts all settled.</p>

<p>They went to the Honors session. At the orientation in July, you are given the complete course listings and your "homework" is to thoroughly map out 3 majors of interest. Their intent is to have you fully realize everything that is available at VT. This could be extremely beneficial to you with your desire to get the best of two worlds. I'd be willing to bet they would love to have your dual interests to work on!</p>

<p>Don't sweat the gpa and amount of work now. If you know where your interests lie, and are any kind of decent student, you'll be fine. Sure it's hard work, but so what?! You didn't come to college for the parties, right?! </p>

<p>Shoot for the moon, and if it gets to be too tough at some point, it seems like you'll have plenty of support from the professors. That was another thing my h commented on. The profs at the sessions they attended talked about their office hours and several said they welcome any visits any time. H had the impression that they really do get to know their studetns well. </p>

<p>I know I'm talking about VT, but most of this applies to all your choices, of course. You have great schools to choose from.</p>

<p>Yep. They had some space free up and offered me 3000 a year plus the housing.</p>

<p>Congratulations to you, Mike. How did you find out (mail, email)? And money is great!!</p>

<p>I had sent a few e-mails over that last few months to the assistant director asking about the program and I suppose when a spot freed up he decided to give me a call. I never thought sending a few pushy e-mails could get me so far...</p>

<p>To answer your question, the assistant director Russell Shrader left a message on my home phone saying that they had a few open spots and that he wanted to discuss the commitments that go along with the community. I called him back, he went over the aspects of the program and said he'd mail me the housing offer. Before he hung up he said..."oh...wait, you might also want to know that all the offers come with a 3000 dollar grant renewable for 4 years." I managed to thank him and hang up before I started screaming. </p>

<p>I am immensely lucky.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you.</p>