Honors Housing Options - Freshman Year

<p>Same here…we like the layout better at Ridgecrest South…2BR/1Bath on each side, Ridgecrest West has all 4 BR on the same hall. Ridgecrest South is the newest building but West was built right before it. You couldn’t go wrong with either one.</p>

<p>Sorry, to keep asking this. Which floors on Ridgecrest South & West are honors. Which are the honors only dorms?
Is there a link that details all this, then maybe I can bookmark it so I don’t have to keep asking. S has the first freshman pick time, so want to be prepared- only a couple of weeks now.</p>

<p>This link may be helpful: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/hall_list.cfm) The website says
Ridgecrest West, Lakeside West, Riverside East and West, and Ridgecrest South North Tower floors 1-3 are all Honors. What doesn’t fill up with recontracts or new Freshmen honors students, I think, is then put out there for other Freshmen to live in. If you click on the name of the dorm…it will give you more info, photos, floor plans, etc.</p>

<p>Just want to confirm something here…if two girls and I are in the honors college, we would not be able to have a fourth roommate who is not in honors and live in honors housing, correct? Meaning that we would not be able to select a room until April, meaning that it would be very difficult to get a suite?</p>

<p>I found three great girls and we’d like to live together, but one isn’t in honors, so we’re facing a dilemma here.</p>

<p>^Yes, that is correct. You may be able to get one at that late date but your chances are much better if you sign on for the early Honors dates. My daughter had friends that were not in Honors that got suites in the new dorms. The main drawback will be that if you don’t live in Honors as a Freshman…you cannot move into it for your Sophomore year and you are not protected for recontracting.</p>

<p>Ah, okay. Luckily the other honors girls feel the same way as I do about wanting to pick early, so I guess we’ll just have to find a fourth. Just out of curiosity, how did everyone find roommates their freshmen year?</p>

<p>You will be glad to get that behind you and have the option of recontracting again since you will be in Honors housing. It is so convenient to be on campus. My daughters found their roommates on an UA facebook group. The FB page had some kind of survey that the kids had filled out and they looked through those. Worked out well for them. Here are 2: <a href=“Facebook - log in or sign up”>Facebook - log in or sign up; and <a href=“Facebook - log in or sign up”>Facebook - log in or sign up. Also, UA has a roommate finder that you can sign up for and ■■■■■■■■.com is a good place to start.</p>

<p>Thank you!! I had been using Facebook, the University of Alabama Admissions page was where I found one of the girls I’m planning to live with, but I didn’t know about those others. They should help us a lot in trying to find another roommate.</p>

<p>I know it says that to get priority honors housing you need to send your housing application in before March 1st, is there an earlier deadline than that to get better options, is it just first come first serve, or what?</p>

<p>Yes, the earlier you submit your application, the earlier you’ll be able to select housing. Here’s the schedule:</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm)</p>

<p>If living on campus for more than one or two years is a priority, then another option is to consider other Living Learning Communities besides Honors. I saw that Engineering and Business were listed above. There are LLCs for both schools, and it’s as easy to re-contract later in college for those students as for Honors housing. There’s a complete list of LLCs on the Housing Office’s website.</p>

<p>Wow…do you work for UA housing?</p>

<p>here’s a question then. If Mallet is considered an honors community, does living there maintain your ability to move to standard honors housing (ie. the super-suites) later on?</p>

<p>I do work for the Housing office. If you guys have any specific questions or need clarification I will be happy to help.</p>

<p>AL34: Not really. Mallet is an academic honors program, in that the student must maintain certain academic standards to remain in the community. However, it is not based out of the Honors College, which is what reserves space called “Honors housing.” So no, you cannot move from Mallet into Honors housing, just like you couldn’t move from the Engineering community into Honors housing. However, because Mallet is a Living Learning Community (in fact, our oldest - 50th anniversary this year!), it carries the same kind of reassurances when recontracting throughout the four years.</p>

<p>Welcome, UAHousing! Something tells me we’re going to have many, many questions for you. :)</p>

<p>We had a tour of one of the four-bedroom suites yesterday. It was beautiful, and the students who showed us the room were really nice.</p>

<p>Thanks, all I can say is bring it!</p>

<p>Midwest- I’m glad you enjoyed your trip. My parents are from the Midwest but I grew up in Tuscaloosa my whole life. Please let me know if you have any questions as you make choices and go through the room selection process.</p>

<p>UAHousing, </p>

<p>If a student never applied for re-contracting would it still be possible to get into the LLC at Friedman Hall? Obviously he would be a business major. </p>

<p>I know there’s a wait-list of students wanting on campus housing. But I didn’t know if Friedman usually filled up since it was an LLC. And if it didn’t usually fill up if it would be possible to get in there at such a late juncture.</p>

<p>Yes, there’s a waitlist, and please feel free to call our main office and ask to have your student added to the waitlist. </p>

<p>I can’t speak to how easily he could get into Friedman, since I don’t know how many of the current residents there will be selecting to live there again, etc. Our room selection process allows current residents to choose their own room before anyone else has the opportunity to choose it.</p>

<p>Unfortunately we do still have a number of students on the waitlist, so I would continue to explore all your options. We have resources available to help with on-campus and off-campus housing decisions, so please let me know if you need any assistance.</p>

<p>Are Honors College students guaranteed housing all four years of their undergrad?</p>