Honors / Merit Scholarship

My son is receiving a letter from the Honors Program today. I am not sure if it will be good news or bad but there is nothing showing up on his portal about it so I am guessing not good.

Also, if he has not heard anything about merit scholarships by now I assume he won’t be getting any?

He has applied to nine universities and has been accepted to them all and Wisconsin is his first choice but not getting any merit money will make it hard to justify over his other options.

UW does not award “merit money” like other schools. They provide need-based aid and have very limited scholarships available that students/applicants must seek out an affirmatively apply for. I’ve included the scholarship link but many of the application deadlines have passed.

https://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/

UW does award merit scholarships, although they are limited even for IS, and even more so for OOS. I received a 4 year merit scholarship as an incoming freshman when I applied through the L&S scholarship application. Did he apply for L&S scholarships?

If I’m remembering correctly, I was notified of my scholarship sometime in April.

@silmaril I am not sure if he has applied for any of those. The letter received today was notification that got into Honors.

Honors Program not associated with merit money at all. Very unlikely to get merit money, especially for OOS. The reality is that many students do not go to their dream school because of finances.

does honors come out with decision letter???

Don’t know. But likely in if you bothered to apply since UW currently offers Honors Program admission to all students. Only those interested will apply.

hey there ! im an international and looking for scholarships at wisconsin. can u please tell if they consider you for scholarships right away when u send the applications or i have to fill some other form for that

Do all applicants to the college of Letters and Science get the link for honors? Because I was admitted last Friday and I did not receive anything

In the past, the invitation to apply for L&S Honors came in a separate email to the student.