Honors Preview Nov. 4th

<p>Just wondering if anyone on this forum is planning to go to the Nov. 4th Honors Preview Day? I’d like to go back with DD for a 2nd visit and would love to help her meet up with other out-of-towners either prospective freshman or current students. We plan to fly in on Saturday from NY and stay till Monday night or possibly Tuesday am. TIA!</p>

<p>My DD wants to go back for a second visit too but she was not invited to this Nov.4 Honors Preview Day. </p>

<p>She has been invited to apply for the Honors College selective programs so the Nov.4 preview day would probably be helpful. Wonder how they determine whom they invite.</p>

<p>Was she accepted into the Honors College yet?</p>

<p>My S and I plan to attend the Nov. 4 preview. We both have commitments on Nov. 3 so we won’t get to Tuscaloosa until very late on Sunday. We expect to stay until Tuesday morning. </p>

<p>@red567
You might try contacting the Honors College about attending. The email address is <a href=“mailto:honors@ua.edu”>honors@ua.edu</a>.</p>

<p>^^NYMom3Kids yes my DD was accepted to Honors College and they sent a letter and email inviting her to apply for the UFE and CBHP. She has a 32 ACT/4.0 GPA.</p>

<p>^^Maryjay60 is this the only preview day or will there be other ones on future dates?</p>

<p>Red567, I’m betting the postcard got lost in the mail. Definitely contact UA Honors and inquire.</p>

<p>I found out from another thread that the weekend is their Fall Break and many students will apparently be off campus. I think we are going to hold off on our second visit for that reason. The campus life is what she didn’t get a feel for the first time so we will figure out a better weekend where she can perhaps stay over with freshman in an Honors dorm.</p>

<p>I would contact Allison and Susan if you need info, an invite, or maybe a Honors student to visit with.</p>

<p>Honors Recruitment
Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Also, if you are not doing anything Monday night, Nov 4th
Alabama Men’s Basketball vs. West Georgia, 7:00pm at Coleman Coliseum, you get to see Crimson Tide Hoops, Crimson Dancers, Pep Band, and Coleman Crazies up close…Coach Grant’s team will be doing big things this year…
Many Honors Students involved in many organizations including DS in Bama Hoops…Other students with Crimson Tide Dancers…ROLL TIDE</p>

<p>I would agree with delaying the visit if possible. Our first visit to campus was over UA’s fall break a couple years ago (which that year coincided with S’s HS fall break) and it was just an odd visit. It was noticeable that both the students and faculty that we met with were not the ones who typically handled those roles. You will get a much better feel for campus if you can go when classes are in session.</p>

<p>Looks as though Fall Break is October 31 - November 1, 2013.</p>

<p>[Fall</a> 2013 Academic Calendar | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2013-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1]Fall”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/academic-calendars/fall-2013-academic-calendar/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>Which is why we are postponing our visit that weekend. :slight_smile: so glad for the heads up!</p>

<p>DH and son are attending for the first time that weekend.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Just give them a heads up that many students and faculty will be out of town. The campus will look “empty”. What days will they be in Tuscaloosa?</p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind is that the Honors College hosts several of these type events, honors preview, capstone scholars, and others. So if this one doesn’t work out, you will likely have other opportunities and get other invites. And I know many people like to visit on a “normal” class day. Sometimes, though, it is cool to visit on a quieter day when you can wander around and relax as you check things out.</p>

<p>My guys will be there Sunday/Monday (tour day) leaving that evening to drive home. It was tough to find any weekend that worked before the semester ended : ) We’ll have to be happy with this one. There’s so much great info on the website (and this list serve!!) that we’re pretty sure there won’t be any surprises.</p>

<p>Our high school allows 2 days excused absences for college visits, so we took them and visited the campus a couple of weeks ago. DD really wanted to get the feel of the campus on a regular class day and boy did we! I’m quite sure a quiet day will be equally as impressive, though. However/whenever you can get to Tuscaloosa, do it! :D</p>