Honors Program and Dorm

<p>My son was accepted into TCU's honors program. Could someone who is in the honors program comment on its pros and cons? Also would you recommend living in the honors housing?</p>

<p>Am I missing something because I don’t see how there can be any cons to this Honors College! There just don’t seem to be any negative aspects to a program in which students get such perks as priority registration, the ability to take smaller, more engaging classes with their brightest peers, and live in the nicest, best-located dorm on campus. If a student is in the top tier of TCU applicants (must be in order to be invited) then my guess is that student has some other pretty strong college options. Why not put oneself in that kind of academic environment in a setting that also offers big-time sports, lots of fun, etc. In many ways, it seems like the best of both worlds to me.</p>

<p>Are you concerned about the social “stigma” of being the smart kid? Or seeming elitist in some way? My feeling is that (a) if people think that, they are not worth worrying about and (b) if you worry about stuff like that, maybe it’s not the right program. Not trying to be rude in any way - I just think you should be thrilled! (We were.)</p>

<p>What db said. I can’t think of any cons, either academically or socially.</p>

<p>I’m not sure these are pros or cons, just more food for thought:

1. As the Honors Dorm, I assume Milton Daniel is more studious, therefore quieter than the other dorms. Are there enough kids who will want to join a frat or sorority, or want to join a dorm intramural team, or want to go see the baseball game on a Wednesday afternoon? Or is this top 4% (because that’s what we all are at TCU) going to focus mostly on our academics and pass on these other traditional college experiences?
  2. And IF the kids in Milton aren’t very social (however you might define it), will these kids have a harder time building a community and finding fun?
  3. If you are in the Honors college and in the Honors dorm, does your world become smaller in an already “small” school?
  4. Academically the kids will encourage each other, build good habits for each other, set good examples for each other.
  5. Maybe the thing is for these kids to go elsewhere for their parties, their late-nights, etc., and it will be awesome to come back to Milton and be able to go to sleep.
    My son wants to live in Milton, although he hasn’t committed. He thinks it’s gorgeous, loves the location and thinks most kids there will be like him (regarding values). I just hope it’s social enough for him and that it doesn’t feel lonely.</p>

<p>As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have heard from other students and parents of current students that the honors dorm has plenty of fun-loving kids in it. The brochure we got states that people in honors housing join fraternities and sororities in about the same percentages as the rest of the class, and that furthermore, the honors kids tend to be more involved in other activities on campus.</p>

<p>I recently spoke with the mother of a current honors college student and she said that her daughter “is having more fun at TCU than I will ever have in my whole life.” The girl went to our high school and is a bright, fun girl. She joined a sorority, is involved in some other campus activities and is also a top business student.</p>

<p>I do think Milton Daniels will be quieter and less full of the extreme rowdiness that, let’s face it, a school like TCU is going to have in some quarters. What a perfect set-up: a place to come home to after one has partaken of the social life somewhere else on campus! I really think at least a portion of the kids feel this way (according to our two honors college guides on one visit).</p>

<p>Finally, the girl I mentioned earlier has also said her very best friends at TCU are all the kids she met in the honors dorm (she is now a sophomore).</p>

<p>We have not committed yet either - still waiting for two decisions - but my son (QUITE social and fun-loving) will definitely choose this dorm if he goes to TCU.</p>

<p>Devilbear - I also have just heard from a couple of awesome kids who live in Milton. The maturity, thoughtfulness and attention to detail in their responses to me have been extremely impressive. </p>

<p>They LOVE Milton and it seems to be working for TCU to help recruit some of the country’s best and brightest students! These kids are super involved on campus, Greek life, intramurals and more, and wouldn’t live anywhere else! Clearly, they are the campus leaders. They say being in the Honors College and living in Milton is quite an honor and very social in itself. Sounds like it is the way to go for those kids who are offered the opportunity!</p>

<p>That is GREAT news, Rice 1961! Pretty much what I have been hearing as well, but it’s always good to get double, triple, etc. confirmation. The more I hear, the more excited I get for my son. He has loved TCU from the moment he first visited and the Honors option is a huge plus. We may not commit until after April 1 but this is the one school where I paid the housing deposit way back in December just in case. Good luck with your son’s decision.</p>

<p>how many people are normally accepted to the honors college at tcu?</p>

<p>I’m not sure. I believe everyone in Milton is a part if the Honors College so that would be about 300 kids. Plus some kids choose NOT to live in Milton. There are about 1700-1800 freshmen… 300-400 seems high. Anyone else know?</p>

<p>Are offers to the Honors College based mainly on test scores or do they also consider GPA and other achievements?</p>

<p>Test scores most definitely, but rank (top 8-10% is what they’re looking for) and GPA are a huge factor, as well as having taken the most rigorous courses in high school. They look at AP test scores and really do a very holistic review, from what we were told.</p>

<p>The Honors Dorm was a great community. There were a lot of scholar athletes on my son’s floor (high school athletes). Most boys seem to pledge a fraternity yet the dorm kids still all hung out a lot together. It was a great way for high school AP students to find like-minded kids at TCU. Nice kids who were good students but still knew how to have A LOT OF FUN! :wink: Too much fun sometimes! ;)</p>