Honors Program Day

Hey All, My daughter and I flew over for the Honors Program day on the 9th. Here’s our report:

The honors program was nice and well planned. Food, tchotchkes and a nice dorm tour. Their program is flexible and supportive; and I get the impression they are super focused on helping the honors kids develop a custom tailored program that makes them motivated to succeed. All the students who were there representing the program were helpful, positive and ready to be of service.

We walked around campus afterwards and it seemed a little too quiet for our taste. Yes, it was cold, and we thought maybe the students were hibernating. We found some students in the main library, but otherwise it was a little hard to find the campus population. The campus itself is very spread out - more so than other campuses we have visited. That being said - it was beautiful! Snow, mountains, clean, positive, architectural, modern enough, and a beautiful view of the valley.

We stayed at the University Guest House and Conference Center on Campus, and they were lovely and accommodating. Every staff member was great, and the stay there really helped make the whole experience smooth and easy.

We left with a very positive impression of both the city and campus. Our ending verdict - its a great option, and it remains in our top 5. But my daughter said she will wait to see all acceptances before making her final decision.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

@sdscoutmom we had the same impression last year of the campus being very quiet when we were there (also on a weekend). I believe the cold weather had a lot to do with our experience (and yours as well) and it was something we both noted. Now that she’s a student there, she’s found her friend group (people from her major, people on her floor, friends of friends in other dorms) and doesn’t feel isolated, lonely, etc.

That is great feedback! I will pass that along to my daughter. Thank you!

sdscoutmom…just curious what other schools your daughter applied to. I have a D20 who will be applying next year for Poli Sci/Public Policy so a similar major to your daughter’s…feel free to PM me.

Also remember its peak skiing season right now and the snow is amazing this winter. On a February weekend you’d probably find more students at Snowbird than wandering the campus. In the evening my D often goes into the city or socializes in dorm rooms, the apartments in the MHC and the shared spaces in Lassonde are particularly good for that.