Honors Program Eligibility?

For the upcoming 2024 freshman, what are the chances for being accepted into the Honors ? How many are accepted? Is there a different amount accepted into department honors rather than the University?
For reference, I am an auto admit bc I am in the top 10% of my school and got a 1490 on the SAT :slight_smile:

@thereitis009 each college has their own honors program, and thereā€™s also University Honors. Overwhelming Iā€™ve read do one or the other-if you have the option. UHonors requires you to live in specific campus housing.
My daughter will be in Business Honors, starting this fall. It is unique, because that will be her major, listed on her diploma-BA Business Honors.
Your chances are better, the earlier you apply. Just be aware that MANY students are also Top 10%, National Merit, etc.
There are definitely pros & cons for honors programs.

I would look at the main TAMU website, and type in ā€˜honorsā€™. You can go to your college specific (your top 2 choices). Every college has different requirements, admissions and numbers for their honors programs.
Personally, I would say try for a college specific honors program vs University Honors., but thatā€™s just my opinion.

I would also recommend the major specific honors rather than university honors. You get pretty much all the benefits of honors with a lot less requirements. The only advantage I see with university honors is that they live together freshman year in a modular dorm rather than the commons that engineering honors lives in. They also seem to have more social activities/requirements.

That helps a lot!Thank you1

Iā€™m thinking of taking Biochemistry, so I think University honors is the only option for me, since there is only a biology honors department. Would you guys agree?

@thereitis009 no idea about Biochemistry, but you can easily look at TAMu website.
We spoke to someone at a Business Honors gig this spring. He started out in both UHonors and Bus Honors, living in the required UHonors dorm. He described it as ā€œthe Big Bang Theory on steroidsā€ā€¦not kidding! We toured the UHonors dorm, and it was definitely not one my daughter wanted to live in. UHonors requires a LOT of ā€˜fluffā€™-mixers, socials, ice breakers, which is another reason to not do 2 honors groups.
If you apply and get in, you can always decline it, so Iā€™d try that, to see if you can get in, then you can decide. Requirements are listed on website.

https://www.chem.tamu.edu/undergraduate/honors-program/

@thereitis009 is BioChem in AgSciences, Biology or Chemistry?
Hereā€™s what youā€™ll do-Apply to A&M, listing your preferences of majors. If youā€™re interested in Honors program, you check a box. The university decides if you get invited.
Donā€™t have your heart set on Honors, as thousands (literally) Apply for it. Main focus should be to apply early, get accepted to TAMU and pay $75 housing deposit the minute you get your acceptance (not kidding).

@thereitis009

Hereā€™s a link to the Biochem FAQ page. It mentions honors at the bottom.
https://biochemistry.tamu.edu/academics/undergraduate-programs/faq/
It looks like you are correct, and you would apply to University Honors.
http://launch.tamu.edu/Honors

Thank you guys so much! I was discouraged that there might not be many options, but after reading this I feel better!

My daughter was in UHonors. The housing was her favorite part. She found her people. She freely admits she is a nerd type and wasnā€™t socially outgoing. Big Bang Theory on steroids sounds like an apt description. It was perfect for her. She ended up dropping the program later on, because she was busy doing research. She graduated as a Research Scholar instead of the Honors designation. Iā€™m really glad she started in it though. She is now at Stanford getting her PhD.