Honors program question

<p>Parent of incoming freshman with a question regarding Honors program.</p>

<p>My son has spent so much time chatting on the UW Facebook admitted students group that he is convinced that basically anyone who bothers to write the essays is admitted to the Honors program. I would like to have some other information about the process. Anyone know anything about percentages etc? </p>

<p>Personally, I appreciate that every admitted student is invited to apply to the Honors program, in contrast to the straight gpa/standardized testing admissions to some Honors programs. </p>

<p>Thank you all.</p>

<p>Not sure about the percentages getting into the Honors Program but it may be a fair statement. A few years ago they started inviting everyone to apply I believe because the academic caliber of UW freshmen has improved recently. Allowing everyone the opportunity does not diminish the quality of the Honors Program. The courses and work required is the same as it always was. I have looked at some other college’s versions of Honors and find more courses available at UW and more diversity in options. No taking the same survey courses instead of an indepth Honors Chemistry/Physics/Math/Biology sequence, or ILS plus Honors options in many other courses.</p>

<p>I also like the ability to take or not take as many Honors courses in a semester. Plus no dorm segregation. Honors students are diverse with different tastes in housing as well as academics. There are advantages with optional meetings, advisors et al. Still the same requirements for the various honors degrees as there were decades ago- you have to do the work to get the designation. They added helpful things not available in my day and did not lessen academics.</p>

<p>Many may be eligible but the standards remain high- most won’t choose the extra rigor or work. Those who do don’t face pressure to take at least one Honors course per semester like at some schools (and looking at those schools I don’t always see courses I would take instead of another course). Of course, to get an Honors degree (there are several L&S options- only in the major, liberal studies or both- comprehensive- wording may be off) students need to plan their schedule and get at least a B to get the H.</p>

<p>I agree with not having rigid HS stats for admission. Some gifted students won’t have the gpa or class rank for example because they were too bored with HS to do A work. UW also gets enough of these students to not entice them with scholarships or tuition reductions just for performing at a certain level in HS like some state flagships do.</p>

<p>Thanks, wis. I can’t tell about admissions, but did find on website that about 7.5% of Letters and Science students are in honors program. Seems like taking 1 honors course a semester, and keeping grades up, allows you to graduate with Honors in Liberal Arts. </p>

<p>I too appreciate the flexibility. My son’s gpa and test scores are fine but not brilliant, there were some bumps along the way for sure and we all have the bruises for it. But he is an interesting kid who loves to argue and write and has already identified some really interesting FIGs that he would like to choose from for fall semester. He did not meet the automatic cut-offs for Honors in our home flagship state school, which is not as competitive in admission or as rigorous a school as UW. Yet, with some interesting essays and good ECs, he is admitted to honors at UW. Go figure. I am pleased that there are places which recognize the prospects for late-blooming, maddening teen boys. After he got his acceptance to honors letter, he began down-playing it, saying anyone who bothers to apply gets in. Good thing he is leaving for school in a few months, as I am often tempted to strangle him.</p>

<p>LOL! There are people on the Waitlist thread that would probably help you strangle him! We (students) can all be knuckleheads at times! He’ll do great and we’ll hunt him down and make sure he has some fun before he goes to his Honors classes!</p>

<p>Not too worried about the having fun part, he loves to tell me about how highly-ranked UW is as a party school, and listed Sellery and Witte as his first choices for dorms. Appreciate the offer though . . . .</p>