Honors Program Question

<p>I am an incoming freshmen to texas A&M. I am majoring in Molecular/Cell Bio from College of Science. I am planning to apply to the Honors Program for the 2013-2014 school year (I am applying for honors for my sophomore yr). What's on a Countinuing Student Honors Application? (I mean topics of essay questions, additional questions that pertains to merit part of applicant, etc.) The honors program website doesn't have the app available until jan 2013.</p>

<p>Since they have completely overhauled the Honors program this year, I think you will have to wait until the app becomes available. They probably don’t even know yet.</p>

<p>Howdy toyotaTundrafan!</p>

<p>I expect that the continuing student application next year will be much the same as the one that we instituted this year. The basic information that we are looking for is why you want to be in Honors and what your plan will be to complete the Honors Fellows distinction. We highly encourage you to visit with an Honors Advisor to talk through your plan ahead of applying. When you get to campus, you can visit us in Henderson Hall. You can also schedule an appointment online at [Sundial:</a> Web-based appointment scheduling](<a href=“http://sundial.tamu.edu/honors]Sundial:”>http://sundial.tamu.edu/honors).</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>Well, there you have it…</p>

<p>Thank you very much JKotinek for the info!</p>

<p>JKotinek…thank you for being so helpful…I have noticed you have answered several questions on CC.</p>

<p>Our son is incoming freshman and is honors engineering but not university honors. We had a couple of questions about the difference in programs…first, will he be eligible for early registration for spring semester through engineering honors? Second, seems that those short essay questions meant more than class rank and test scores for getting into the university honors this year. (I work with students who need extra help with college application preparation…and I want to be sure I stress the importance of those short answers if this is true…I know national merit status makes a difference too.) I just know several engineering majors that were highly ranked and have nearly perfect standardized test scores that did not get into the university honors…</p>

<p>Finally, has the “honors hours for AP scores above university requirements” been phased out with the new honors program?
thank you!</p>

<p>Hi, schmegel,</p>

<p>Glad I can help out. Congratulations on your son’s achievements.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Yes, students participating in college and departmental Honors programs at TAMU (such as the Engineering Scholars Program) are afforded some of the same privileges as students in the University Honors Program including Honors Priority Registration.</p></li>
<li><p>Yes, our application review process put special emphasis on the essay responses to the additional Honors application. Applicants that blew off these questions did not score well. When students contacted our office for assistance with these questions, we provided the application guidance listed here: [Honors</a> Program](<a href=“http://honors.tamu.edu/ProspectiveStudents.html]Honors”>http://honors.tamu.edu/ProspectiveStudents.html).</p></li>
</ol>

<p>The revised freshman Honors application for next year will have essay questions that similarly require research, thoughtful development, and careful editing. Given the word limit, we expect that outstanding essays will be those that are developed and then pared down to fit the constraints. In addition to the essay questions, the application next year will also incorporate some multiple choice questions to help us gauge committment, self-awareness, and willingness to embrace intellectual challenges.</p>

<ol>
<li>Yes, the university-level Honors distinction no longer accepts outside credit (such as AP or IB) to fulfill requirements. Some college and departmental Honors tracks will still count this credit, so your son should check with Dr. Meissner about how this will work for ESP.</li>
</ol>

<p>Regards,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
TAMU Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>Thanks again Jon. I am beginning to truly appreciate how responsive the a&m staff are to parents and students…a bit different from the university where my other child is enrolled!</p>