Honors program requirements?

<p>What are the requirements to get into the A&M honor program? It doesnt say much on the website itself... thanks!</p>

<p>You have to complete a small separate application and also have an SAT composite of 1250. As a freshman, you must live in the Honors Dorms. My son is a freshman in Lechner right now. He likes it so far.</p>

<p>That would be University honors. There are also honors programs within each school. For example, you can apply for Engineering honors without applying for University honors (requires 1350 R/M SAT or 31 ACT AND be ranked in top 10% of your class). Engineering honors students are not required to live in a specific dorm. There are also honors programs for Business, Liberal Arts, etc.</p>

<p>chick98, have you checked out this: <a href=“http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu/Home”>http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu/Home&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks for the replies. So last year, I was s high school sophomore in junior high. I had a 4.2 GPA and was in the top 5% (25/534) Not I’m in senior high where our class is 1500 students. I am in 5 AP Classes with PreCal being my only not AP but it is pre AP. AP chemistry is insanely difficult and I’m the only junior in my class. I am doing my best in the class and am hoping for B averages. All my other classes are As. So I am super concerned I won’t be in top 10% as my school is super competitive. Can I still be in the honors program if I’m not in the top 10%? If it matters I’m hoping to double major in psychology and zoology. I want to apply to dental school. Thank you!</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. So last year, I was s high school sophomore in junior high. I had a 4.2 GPA and was in the top 5% (25/534) Not I’m in senior high where our class is 1500 students. I am in 5 AP Classes with PreCal being my only not AP but it is pre AP. AP chemistry is insanely difficult and I’m the only junior in my class. I am doing my best in the class and am hoping for B averages. All my other classes are As. So I am super concerned I won’t be in top 10% as my school is super competitive. Can I still be in the honors program if I’m not in the top 10%? If it matters I’m hoping to double major in psychology and zoology. I want to apply to dental school. Thank you!</p>

<p>Bump</p>

<p>Bump, sorry don’t mean to be annoying!</p>

<p>To the best of my knowledge, no you can’t be in honors if you are not in the top 10% coming out of HS. However, if you do well your first semester, there are some options to take honors courses your second semester and apply to the honors programs. If you mark that you are interested in the honors programs on your application, they will forward it for review but honestly not being top 10% will be a big disadvantage in the sea of top 10% applicants that apply (see the breakdown from last year’s acceptances), if there are any that allow non-top 10%. </p>

<p>In the past, if you desired a double major you had to pick one initially then add the other later. Pick the one you are most interested in of the two and put that as #1 since both of those majors fill quickly( and should you decide to only do one major, switching at NSC isn’t normally available for these majors). Be sure to apply early. You still have time, you’re a junior - get some help with your chemistry - even great students sometimes need help to better understand a concept. Good luck!</p>

<p>My son was National Merit, OOS. His high school does not rate students. He was deemed to be in the top 25% for purposes of being considered an academic admit and was admitted into the Honors College (and is loving it so far!). So, a narrow loophole.</p>

<p>My son was homeschooled and considered in top 25% and was admitted to honors as a Freshman. He had a high SAT score, so that probably helped.</p>

<p>I took a quick look though the university honors website, it no longer states top 10% (at least I didn’t find it). Several of the departmental /major (I didn’t look at all of them) still have top 10% requirements & the ability to take honors courses without membership in an honors program still holds that top 10% caveat. University honors has changed quite a bit over the last few years - neither of mine opted to do university honors although both ‘met’ the criteria for their respective years. Be sure to research the various honors groups to see what matches your college experience goals. My oldest found her niche elsewhere. There are lots of options to excel at this school outside the honors programs too. Do not feel it is an all or nothing type of situation here, they are wonderful programs but there are lots of opportunities to ‘make your mark’ even if you are not in an honors program.</p>

<p>Thank you!!!</p>

<p>Howdy chick98!</p>

<p>Thanks for your question! What we’re looking for, in brief, is this: “Applications are evaluated on the basis of the student’s record of academic achievement and demonstrated potential for creativity, intellectual ability, imagination, curiosity, willingness to try new things and self-awareness.” (from <a href=“http://hur.tamu.edu/Honors/Apply-to-Honors”>http://hur.tamu.edu/Honors/Apply-to-Honors&lt;/a&gt;)</p>

<p>We use test score (SAT or ACT) as our measure of academic achievement, and we use the additional application that whciv01 mentioned to measure the other traits. We are most interested in students who are seeking additional challenge and enrichment, and demonstrate that through a commitment to our program.</p>

<p>As AGmomx2 mentioned, there are a number of different ways to plug in and excel at TAMU, and we want you to find what is the best fit for you. You can check out all of the Honors opportunities at <a href=“http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu”>http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu</a> (thanks for posting that earlier lee6666!).</p>

<p>As whciv01 said, we also require first-year students to live in our Honors Housing Community, so if you are interested in our program, please be sure to follow up with your housing application within 30 days of being admitted.</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
TAMU Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>