Honors Program

<p>When does the school inform applicants that they are being offered a spot in the Honors Program? My S was accepted Early Action and offered a University Scholarship, but there is no mention of the Honors Program. Anyone know?</p>

<p>My D got her EA acceptance package on Feb 2nd. Then, on Feb 8th a letter came from the Assistant Director of the Honors Program stating “…your outstanding academic record qualifies you to be invited to participate in the General Honors Program and I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted…”</p>

<p>I don’t know if they mailed these letters out to all the EA students who qualified at the same time or not. You sons may still be coming?</p>

<p>You could contact them at 305-284-5384 or <a href=“mailto:honorsprogram@miami.edu”>honorsprogram@miami.edu</a>
Hope that helps.
~Zinc</p>

<p>I think they have probably sent all Honors Program notifications already. The way it works is that they offer this to the top 10% of ACCEPTED students.</p>

<p>But of course all these students do NOT end up attending UM. </p>

<p>This happened to my daughter two years ago. She had top scores and received a scholarship, but was not in the top 10% of accepted students. We talked to the department about it and was told to re-contact them after the enrollment deadline had passed. What they did then was to see if she was now in the top 10% of those ENROLLED. She was and they accepted her into the program.</p>

<p>Make sure you follow up on this. It is a great program, but also the Honors students get to sign-up for classes ahead of the other students in their grade level. This can be critical for getting into popular courses.</p>

<p>Thanks very much for the information. Both your experiences were very useful. I would guess, like your daughter, my son would be in the top 10% (1450 SAT’s on the two old sections/4.15GPA) after enrollment, but it may be a bit of a risk. We may lean toward UM with the honors college, but probably not without it. It’s going to be a hard month of weighing the options. Thanks again!</p>

<p>You really should call as they do change things from year to year. Also, they have made and corrected mistakes in the past. The best thing to do is to ask. Also tell them that it is very important to your decision. Good Luck!</p>

<p>cmoon, you might call and talk to them about the honors program. We were at UM this weekend and it didn’t sound like honors there was make or break. Honestly, the dean who was discussing it didn’t seem to think the honors program was that great. Honors students have to take one honors course per semester and there aren’t enough courses, and it is hard to fit everything else in, from what he said. He said they’re talking about revamping it. I don’t mean that as a negative about the school - we were extremely impressed and my son is very seriously considering UM after our visit there. I just don’t know that I’d make it a yay or nay based on honors program acceptance.</p>

<p>We were at Miami this weekend and I got the same impression as mpwmom above.</p>

<p>Hi Malami - I think we’ve been on a lot of the same threads, some overlapping schools. Good luck to you on Singer - we have our fingers crossed! My son really came away positive about UM!</p>

<p>My daughter too. The Foote fellow was what she was really impressed with. I posted on another thread here that they said (I think)that only Singer winners will be Foote fellows, but it seems that everyone invited to the Singer/Stamps weekend were given it. I wonder if it is negotiable.</p>

<p>And good luck to your son.</p>

<p>mpwmom, I know its supposed to be confidential but I wanted to say again that I liked your sons haircut!</p>

<p>Thanks for your input and experience from the visit. I did ask the Honors College about my son’s status, and they immediately accepted him into the “program” and apologized about not accepting him after his acceptance under EA. Not sure what that meant, maybe he wasn’t top 10% in the EA pool, but top 10% in the overall pool?</p>

<p>For others reading, one interesting angle that someone who works for me brought up. I work in the finance industry and my analyst was in the PhD Economics program at Princeton. She went to a Northeast University undergrad under a special program which also allowed her to use the Honors classes. Her feeling is that the Honors programs allow the students to get to know the professors much more intimately than a regular class. Where this helps is for those who apply for graduate school and need help and or recommendations as part of that. So an angle that I hadn’t thought about that, depending on the structure of the program at UM, and post grad plans, could be meaningful.</p>

<p>I’d be curious to know if any UM students or graduates felt that the Honors classes did help them establish relationships with their professors which helped them in either their careers and or graduate school entrance.</p>