Honors Program

<p>So I go into the Honors Program...but I don't fully understand it. Are all my classes honors or just some of them? Is like everything I do isolated and only with the honors kids? Is orientation only with the honors kids? Ideally I'd like it to be that I'm a regular student that just has some small honors courses but not all of them.....is it like this?</p>

<p>please respond asap if you know anything because i have to decide...ahhhhhh</p>

<p>Yes, that is the way it is. Many intor level classes have honors sections. After that you take the same classes but do some extra work. Also have to do a thesis or similar project.</p>

<p>Whoops-typo--"intro" level</p>

<p>I got into honors as well... is it worth it? Would you recommend it to an aspiring physician or is it just a lot of hype?</p>

<p>As an employer I am very impressed if someone graduates with honors. So are most med schools I think.</p>

<p>so you take some honors classes or all honors classes? does this affect social life at all? i would be living in regular housing not the special honors housing?</p>

<p>Requirement to earn the honors degree can be found on <a href="http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?id=43%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.honors.ls.wisc.edu/SiteContent.aspx?id=43&lt;/a> More on SOAR.</p>

<p>In a nutshell, the UW honors programs are somehow unique compared to the others. Specifically, the honors programs are open to any student (who is committed to take on the challenge) and honors students are not segregated - you live, dine and party with everybody else.</p>

<p>BTW, congrats to all who are invited to join the Honors program. That means you are among the top 10-15% of your incoming freshmen class. Of course, you need to continue working hard to keep that edge for the next 4 years.</p>

<p>I have posted heavily in favor of the Honors program- even though it has been tweaked since my day. Some courses are straight honors, some are regular with a paper or project. I like that you are still part of the rest of the campus- dorms, etc. Definitely go for it, well worth it. Anyone can sign up for the weekly Honors e-mail, many different opportunities offered. SOAR will give you an Honors advisor to help you decide on your classes, otherwise you get to mingle. There are also some activities once you start school. Also, if you decide later you want out it's easy to abandon, advantages to joining, but not an irrevocable decsion. Do it.</p>

<p>I believe the deadline to apply for the honors program has already passed. Can I join the honors program in the future? If yes, when can i apply? Does the honors program affect my academic performance (GPA etc) significantly? ty in advance</p>

<p>Yes, you can join any semester, although past a certain point it would be useless (senior year...). Your grades will reflect the time and effort you put into any class, you may do better with a challenge and goof off too much in an easier class (eg getting a B because you underestimated the class); besides, you go to college to gain knowledge and experience, not to acquire a gradepoint, regardless of your post graduation plans. Being in the Honors Program gives you elegibility for /first choice at the honors classes, if you are particularily good at something you may want to talk to your advisor, or an Honors advisor, at SOAR and get permission to sign up for that class. Honors students can get honors credit in many regular classes by doing an extra paper or project. Chemistry, Physics and Math all have 2-3 semester intro series; if you had 1 semester of calculus it can be worth your while to repeat it with the 3 semester honors sequence which also gives you linear algebra and so much theory it disqualifies you for a calc theory course (only for math/physics types perhaps)- you will work a lot harder, but learn a lot more. Never hesitate to take a college course that causes you to lose your AP credits, the UW course will teach you so much the AP class didn't; eg don't take the regular course that follows the AP one you took in HS, opt for the whole honors sequence. The H goes on your transcript with your grade.</p>

<p>Remember to ask for exceptions to published rules when you think appropriate, professors/advisors are there to help you get the maximum benefit from the system. They often know how to work around the "rules" (often created because of computers) to accomplish what seems logical, they know the system, why some rules came to be and how to "break" them.</p>

<p>Finally, READ THE UW WEBSITE. It is a treasure trove of information, explore all sorts of subsites.</p>

<p>THe deadline for the honors program has come and gone already but they'll still let you apply</p>

<p>
[quote]
Remember to ask for exceptions to published rules when you think appropriate, professors/advisors are there to help you get the maximum benefit from the system. They often know how to work around the "rules" (often created because of computers) to accomplish what seems logical, they know the system, why some rules came to be and how to "break" them.

[/quote]

Totally agree! This is definitely the #1 UW survival tip.</p>