Honors Program

<p>D and I went to a accepted student reception in NJ yesterday and they were asked a question about the honors program. The school rep. there said all invites were already extended. I just checked their requirements for the program and found you must have a 1360 SAT and top 5%. </p>

<p>Ouch! </p>

<p>My D is top 1% but her SAT is 1350. If they superscored it, she would have a 1360. Her GPA is 3.96 uw and 4.3 w.</p>

<p>Do you think contacting them and appealing would help? Do they ever let in students that are so close?</p>

<p>SVMMom,</p>

<p>I say give it a shot. The worse thing that can happen is they say no and you're not in the Honors program, which of course, you're already not in, so what have you got to lose? </p>

<p>Also, I believe that your D can apply for the program at the end of freshman year, (though I may be confusing Miami's program with somewhere else).</p>

<p>Update:</p>

<p>My daughter appealed and she was accepted to the honors program.</p>

<p>Congratulations! So it was a 50-50 weekend, getting in the Honors program, but losing out on the lofts, (in truth, some of the lofts did look pretty shaky - so maybe the metal will be safer).</p>

<p>Actually I just spoke with housing and they are saying (after much prying on my part) that they changed the policy too late and would not make you take down wood lofts that you put up yourself. But absolutely NO sawing, etc in the rooms! Assembly only by the student/parent would be tolerated, no outside companies except for Bedloft.com. They will basicly look the other way because they did not get the info out to the students in a timely fashion.</p>

<p>wait, this thread makes it sound like UM doesn’t superscore. IS that so?</p>

<p>Tony,</p>

<p>Pretty sure they super score the ACT…It appears that the requirements are not completely inflexible. Strength in one area (say, class rank) may make up for weaker test scores</p>