Honor's requirement question

<p>I KNOW it has been answered on this forum, but I have been searching for an hour and can’t find my exact answer…The honors college website says that 6 of the 18 required credits for “honors” graduation have to be in honors SEMINARS at the 100,200 or 300 level. My DS thinks the 6 credits just have to be classes within the honors college (UH designation) and not actually seminar classes. Is he correct??? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>As long as those 6 hours are completed in UH or IHP designated courses, the requirement is satisfied. The Honors College refers to most UH/IHP/CBH courses as seminars, which is why that terminology is used. That being said, if more than 6 UH/IHP hours are utilized for the overall 18 hour requirement, that’s perfectly acceptable as well.</p>

<p>Thanks prezel! Guess my DS had it right.</p>

<p>The honors college website says that 6 of the 18 required credits for “honors” graduation have to be in honors SEMINARS at the 100,200 or 300 level. My DS thinks the 6 credits just have to be classes within the honors college (UH designation) and not actually seminar classes.</p>

<p>Any UHP class counts for that 6 credit req’t…whether they are “seminar” or not. So, AA and OA count…seminar classes count…300 level UHP classes with the W designation count. The word “seminar” is irrelevant…I’m not even sure why that word is used. </p>

<p>And…IHP 105 or IHP 155 class count as well.</p>

<p>and…any UHP student can take those IHP classes.</p>

<p>Like pretzeldude and m2ck said, it is any UH 100/200/300-level and IHP 105/155 courses. I’ve asked this question quite a few times myself as there are no more UH-designated courses that would fulfill my major/minor requirements.</p>

<p>The addition of IHP 105/155 to this list was a change made in the last year.</p>

<p>So 18 credits of any honors courses? Or, did I misunderstand?</p>

<p>As I understand 6 credits have to be within the honors college itself (ie UH designated) . The other 12 of the 18 can be any honors course ( ie honors macroeconomics is a class my DS is taking now) . I think I’ve got it! Thanks to everyone.</p>

<p>One needs 18 honors credits to graduate from UHP, at least 6 of which must be from the UH/IHP courses described above. The remaining 12 credits can also be earned by taking departmental honors courses, honors by contract courses, 500-level (graduate) courses, or writing an honors thesis. If one does an honors thesis as part of or in addition to the UHP requirements, they will have completed the Special University Honors Program, which is something not many people do as it’s a rarely-mentioned option.</p>

<p>resurrecting this thread with a question. Looking at DSs options down the road we now realize that both his major and possible dbl major/minor have no honors classes offered at all. I understand he can pick up honors with his required core classes so that is an option. Question is how receptive/successful have students been in getting profs to work with them on Honors by Contract?</p>

<p>i am interested in the honors by contract as well. when one comes in with a bunch of credits, that eliminates a lot of the classes where it is easy to find an honors version of the class.</p>

<p>^ exactly, and when your majors are small (Comp. Science and Studio Art) there are literally NO Honors classes offered. Puts you in the position of having to find Honors for everything, incl. Nat. Sciences, which on the face of it looks like could be a GPA killer in an already difficult schedule.</p>

<p>Professors are generally very willing to do honors by contracts. Don’t forget that graduate (500) level courses count towards honors credit.</p>

<p>Thanks - that’s what we’re hoping to hear.
^ interesting… just being lazy since I have you here for the info, do students typically have the option of grad level coursework as part of their undergrad?</p>

<p>Depending on the department, graduate level classes can be taken with administrative approval. I know in my department, many of the 500 level courses are the same as the 400 level courses with slightly stricter grading.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>That was true with math as well…some of the 400 level were also 500 level. The 500 level were sometimes given different tests.</p>