Honors seminars for upperclassmen

<p>Son just checked Degree Works and saw he still needs 5 credits of honors seminars.</p>

<p>He’s only taken Alabama Action and his two freshman CBH courses as UH courses. He’s also taken an honors section for a couple of intro engineering courses.</p>

<p>As he wants to make sure he doesn’t fall short of honors requirements upon graduation, he was looking at some upperclass honors courses. There are many open to only freshmen, and he was unfortunately unable to fit them into his schedule last year.</p>

<p>He’s got a pretty heavy courseload already, already taking 17 credits, but he was looking for maybe a one credit seminar course, similar to those offered to freshmen only, so he doesn’t fall too far behind on his honors requirements. The only honors course he has in the fall is CBH, but he’s unsure if that will fulfill his honors seminar requirements.</p>

<p>Has anyone taken any of these one credit upperclass honors seminars and can lend some feedback on them, good or bad?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Maybe not this semester, but in the future he could take a 300 level honors course that fulfills the W requirement.</p>

<p>I don’t think he can only use CBH and engineering honors classes to fulfill the honors req’ts. I think he has to take at least 6 credits in UHP. I think 3 credits from IHP 105 or 155 can count as well.</p>

<p>Hi Montegut - Timeflew posted that D had taken UH 120 course on Prof. Development and liked it. </p>

<p>My S missed out on this but there is also one for Sophmores (juniors/senior have one too) I keep telling my S if it works in his schedule it couldn’t hurt. Here’s what I found:</p>

<p>HnExpl:Soph. Prof. Develpmnt - 49644 - UH 120 - 071
SOPHOMORES ONLY!!
Levels: Undergraduate
Attributes: University Honors </p>

<p>1.000 Credits
View Catalog Entry </p>

<p>Scheduled Meeting Times Type Time Days Where Date Range Schedule Type Instructors
Class 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm R Nott Hall 283 Aug 24, 2011 - Dec 09, 2011 Seminar TBA</p>

<p>Often, the honors college will add courses throughout the semester, so one of those courses could work with schedules. So if you do not find something right now, you may land a class later in the semester, or possibly in the spring. If your student is in CBHP, remember that those classes run through junior year, so it is possible to take those writing classes as a senior.</p>

<p>Since he needs 6 credits, I don’t see how taking one credits is going to do the trick. He probably needs to fit two 3 credit classes in his schedule over the next few semesters.</p>

<p>Since he has to take W classes anyway, those would be good.</p>

<p>Does he have all of his Core done? If not, what is he missing?.</p>

<p>Who can son call in the honors college to ask questions about course requirements?</p>

<p>Since there are tons of UHP 120 courses, can you only take one of them for your whole time at Bama, or can you take one of them per semester?</p>

<p>Also, the writing courses that were mentioned, son has to take writing courses for engineering, and there are some plugged in for him in Degree Works, but will he also have to take writing courses for UHP? </p>

<p>If so, that may be a way to kill two birds with one stone.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input.</p>

<p>Would love to hear recommendations for courses.</p>

<p>I don’t think you’re limited to one UH 120 since D has a couple of UH 155 courses on her transcript. As long as they’re different content, he should be fine. </p>

<p>Timeflew: would you mind sharing what the Professional Development class covers?</p>

<p>^^^Rob, what UH 155 classes did your daughter take? I don’t know if those are for frosh only, but we do have a friend that will be at Bama Honors next year and we can pass on recommendations.</p>

<p>Also interested in the prof development course and any others that are one credit only. Don’t think we can fit in another 3 credit course at this point, but may be able to handle a 1 credit. </p>

<p>Is the prof development course only offered in the fall, or is it in the spring as well? For those who can’t fit it in this fall, it might be a good course to take in the spring.</p>

<p>I also see the prof development course is grade specific, so I wonder if you can take it as a frosh, soph, junior and senior to fulfill honors requirements.</p>

<p>I understand your point, m2ck, with the 1 credits not making much of a dent, but if you look at the mech eng curriculum, there’s not much wiggle room. It may take a few semesters to knock it out, but a couple of 1 credits may be the way to go. </p>

<p>Thanks for any input!</p>

<p>*
Also, the writing courses that were mentioned, son has to take writing courses for engineering, and there are some plugged in for him in Degree Works, but will he also have to take writing courses for UHP? *</p>

<p>Engineering should let him sub the honors W class if you ask, and the Eng credit isn’t needed to reach minimum eng’g credits to graduate. However, if those Eng’g W classes are needed to reach the upper division total req’t, then he’ll need to take those. He needs to count his upper division Eng credits…and total Eng credits to see if an Honors W class can be taken in lieu of the Eng W class.</p>

<p>You can take many of those one credit courses. I believe the ones that are limited to frosh say “freshman” in the name somewhere.</p>

<p>If you add a class to your schedule, and the system lets you add it, you’re ok…</p>

<p>Son would definitely want to take the Eng W classes. </p>

<p>If he takes those, then will he also have to take Honors W classes to fulfill honors requirements? </p>

<p>Can someone provide a link where the Honors requirements are listed?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Montegut: D took UH155 FRSem:Issues in American Politics in the Fall and UH155 FR Sem: Mindset of War 1914-45 in the Spring. She’s taking UH300 Sem:Shakespearean Histories this fall. With all other honors classes she’s taken so far, she’s at 24 honors credits by December, but as a history major she has a lot more flexibility than STEM majors. </p>

<p>There are UH 155 classes that aren’t for freshman only; you can tell which ones are limited by that FRSem designation. BTW, she ended up having a scheduling glitch for last Spring because by credit she was already a sophomore but she was only going into her 2nd semester; the system wouldn’t let her register for that Mindset of War class because “she wasn’t a freshman.” All it took was a quick visit to the Honors College to get that sorted out. Just an FYI for some of you for October…</p>

<p>Honors requirements: <a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/Snapshot%20of%20Policies%20and%20Procedures.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Hey SEA_Tide: is this new language for IHP requirements? </p>

<p>d. Study abroad (minimum 2 summers or 1 semester and 6 credits earned while overseas).</p>

<p>I thought I had remembered it saying minimum 10 weeks abroad; this might be something that changes the ability to participate for some students.</p>

<p>I hadn’t looked at the list of Fall Honors classes in a while so I thought I’d take a peek: <a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/honorscourses_interim_summer_fall2011.pdf[/url]”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/uploads/forms/Current%20Students/honorscourses_interim_summer_fall2011.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>One that I hadn’t seem before & I think is so amazing is:
MORAL FORUM (HU) (3 credits) UH 101
Moral Forum: Rebuilding Tuscaloosa Today and Tomorrow
Students will attend an engaging, seven-week, multidisciplinary lecture series on Tuscaloosa’s response to the April 27th tornado, natural disaster preparedness, the challenges of disaster recovery in low-income areas, and the resources and planning needed to successfully rebuild a community. Students will also serve three hours a week with a local relief agency. The course will culminate with the students, working in small teams, presenting creative proposals that address Tuscaloosa’s ongoing, long-term needs. A panel of UA faculty and city administrators will select the most innovative proposals to receive funding for implementation over the following year.</p>

<p>Thanks, Rob. How did she like the Mindset of War class? One of our incoming friends might enjoy that class. Was it a lot of work? I don’t know what his major will be, but I’m sure he’ll ask that question. </p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up that some of the seminars, including 155, aren’t just for freshmen. We’ll look at them as well.</p>

<p>So, Rob’s daughter took two 155 courses.</p>

<p>Anyone know if you can take two UHP 120 courses? </p>

<p>Since study abroad was mentioned, I do believe there are some study abroad courses that give honors credits. This doesn’t apply to my son, but maybe those in IHP might be interested if study abroad courses that give honors credits can satisfy both UHP and IHP credits.</p>

<p>Thanks for the links, guys. We’ll print them out, and son will see if any peak his interest.</p>

<p>Can he take a 300 level course if he’s only a second year student? He’ll still be classified as a sophomore in the fall.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your help with this. Great feedback, guys!</p>

<p>Montegut: per the Honors requirement: All UH seminars are repeatable provided the course content differs. So as long as the 120 classes have different content they should be repeatable. </p>

<p>And yes about the Study Abroad honors content. DD is on the Oxford at Alabama trip & one class she’s taking is English 216-800: Honors English Literature II. 3 hours. Robert W. Halli. Dr. Jones is teaching Honors Fine Arts: The Arts of Oxford.</p>

<p>She did like the Mindset of War class. I can always zip her an email for some specific feedback if you’d like.</p>

<p>ETA: D is taking a 300 level class in the fall and it’s only her 2nd year. She’ll technically be a junior once the grades for the summer are posted, but when she registered for fall she was still “just” a sophomore.</p>

<p>Usually, there are no restrictions on freshmen or sophomores taking a 300-level class, unless the student has not met a prerequisite – should there even be one. I know that my son and M2CK’s sons took 300-level classes as freshmen. This year, my son, like Sea_tide, will be a junior, and he’s taking grad-level classes.</p>

<p>Provided you meet the prerequisites, there are no restrictions on what level of courses one can take, particularly with Honors College courses. 100/200/300/400/500/600 designations are primarily used to designate the difficulty of the material and, in the case of 500/600 level courses, are used to signify that those are not courses undergraduates are expected to take. As far as undergraduate courses are concerned, you can take whatever you qualify for.</p>

<p>As RobD posted, you can definitely take multiple UH 120/155 courses, as well as other Honors College courses that share the same number and do not share the exact same course content. I took two UH 120 courses and both counted towards UHP requirements. If one wants to take courses with the same number during the same semester, they will need to contact Kiki (the Honors College Registrar) and get an override into the classes.</p>

<p>RobD, that is a change to the requirements for IHP as the requirement was 10 weeks abroad and 6 credits earned, which is sometimes a longer period than 2 summer sessions. Based on this new wording (though I haven’t seen the official wording), many students will benefit while others will actually lose options. For example, December/January mini-mester study abroads, while not currently offered at UA, are sometimes taken by UA students and are not considered by these requirements to be valid options to complete IHP requirements. The general requirements list to enter the Honors College does not include the new 3.3 high school GPA requirement for freshman applicants and seems to be missing a couple of sentences regardless, so I don’t think this is a final copy of the updated Honors College requirements.</p>

<p>So Kiki is the one to call to ask questions?</p>

<p>We may take m2ck’s advice and wait for a 3 credit course that son is interested in. Still perusing the list. Will look at what’s still open, too. Many courses are already closed.</p>

<p>I did have a question about courses being added during the semester. How does one find out about these, and can they be added once the semester has started?</p>

<p>I know son had an intro eng course that was only six weeks long, and had three different sessions during the semester. Something like that with an honors attribute would be a big help for someone who doesn’t want to increase their workload too much, but is trying to get those honors credits in.</p>

<p>I know there was a core course that son has had his eye on, and we’ll look and see if that’s open. It’s got a regular attribute, but maybe he can make it an honors course? Isn’t there something called honors by contract? Has anybody done that and how does that work? I’m guessing it would not be a seminar class, so it wouldn’t fulfill that requirement, but maybe it could go toward the other 12 credits.</p>

<p>I haven’t looked at the IHP course offerings, but can UHP kids take IHP courses for UHP credits? I seem to remember seeing that, but don’t know if that’s something that’s about to change.</p>

<p>Momreads, is this wonderful cross Europe class your son is on going to be counted as an honors class? I know the Costa Rica class is an honors class, but I’m not clear as to whether his Belgium class is going to count as an honors class.</p>