Honors?

There is some information on the various honors programs at http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu and it gives picture about the programs’ content. How difficult the programs are to get in (university / college / departmental)? For example Engineering honors, does every future freshman who meets the requirements get in? How big percentage of students are in various honors programs? How many of the honors participants get scholarships and how much they typically are?

I’ll answer BHP ( Business Honors Program). Acceptance rate is around 8% of qualified applicants. Usually around 75-85 students in the program. 90% of BHP students get scholarships. It is a major as well as an honors program ( Business Honors) and most double major (95%) with another specialty ( Acct., Fin., Mgmt, Mktg, Info, Sup. Chain) and 30% get minors or certificates as well. Sorry not sure of the amounts of scholarships as many have multiples, so it is tough to say.

From what I’ve heard and experienced (which isn’t much), most people who qualify and apply for Engineering Honors (EH) get in. When I applied last month it only took just under two weeks for me to get an acceptance email in my TAMU gmail account. EH has rolling admissions.

@futureaggie1

Does this mean (practically)anyone who writes the essay for engineering honors will get in?

@lessonwitch2 I feel like if you don’t meet one of the top two criteria then the essay would have to be really top-notch. They may only read the essay for people who don’t meet the criteria, but I could very well be wrong.

Heads up most honors memberships require you to maintain a 3.5 to keep membership. So yes, you might get in but if you don’t perform to that level you’ll be out.

Also on a side note - graduating with honors does not require membership in honors nor any honors level courses- purely GPA based.

In theory, you could graduate cum laude, University Honors, and Engineering Honors.