Hopeful Transfer Student, Chance Me Please

Hi!

I currently attend a small(ish) public liberal arts school on the east coast and am looking to transfer to Colorado College for fall of 2016 as an incoming junior. If you could let me know if you think I have a chance, that would be awesome! I am an incoming junior at my current school this year, but am leaving after the fall semester because I don’t feel as though my college is fulfilling my needs or helping me grow at this point, and I don’t want to spend the money for another semester that I will likely have to basically do-over once I transfer, so I am going back home and working for the spring, then planning on transferring in the fall. Thank you!

About me:
I don’t know how relevant these are anymore, but my high school info was:
Class Rank: 3/141
GPA: 3.96
SAT: 690 Reading, 680 Math, 660 Writing
IB Diploma Received, part of National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, president of the GSA, president of interact (community service organization), music department secretary, NHS parliamentarian, Relay for Life senior adviser

College Info:
GPA: 3.83
Studied abroad at Oxford University Summer 2015
Competitor & Treasurer of Figure Skating Club
Vice Chair of ACE (Alliance for Community Enrichment, which is the coalition of culture clubs)
ACE Chair for the LGBTQ+ club on campus
AOP (Access Opportunity Program) Tutor
CATS mentor (helps with selection process and training of tutors)
I have volunteered with educational programming at a nature center for 7 years
Part of the English Honor Society, Education Honor Society, First Year Honor Society, and Golden Key Honor Society
Won 3rd place award in poetry at my college this semester
Had a poem accepted into a large undergraduate literary magazine

Why I’m transferring:
I’m currently an English and Adolescent Education major, but didn’t come into college knowing that was what I wanted to do.
Colorado College has an education program that is much more nuanced that what my current college offers, as I am interested in developing culturally competent curricula and outdoor/environmental education.
I work best putting all my energy into a single thing, so the block plan would be great for me.
I want to go to a school with lots of opportunities for outdoor learning, but that is also close to a larger town (my current college town has a population of about 5,000 and is 30 miles from the nearest city)
I want to be in a school that has other figure skaters/be in a more competitive environment
I plan to be involved in figure skating, GROW (a club about mental health), and likely other academic and activist-related organizations

I’m planning to start my application ASAP. I actually interviewed with Colorado College (and it went super well) before deciding on a school when I was a senior in high school, but never ended up submitting my application. I am planning on having another in person interview before submitting this application.

Sorry this is late. Knowing “why CC” is extremely important. They’re very proud of what sets them apart and want students who appreciate those differences. You’ve obviously thought about this but need to be sure it comes across as strongly as possible in the essays. Your numbers look ok, but last year CC’s yield was much higher than expected-the Class of 2019 is about 40 students over budget. That resulted in a lot of forced triples for Freshmen (three students in a double room). CC really wants to keep students on campus and maintain its average class size-generally only seniors live off campus-so housing remains a challenge until the new dorms come on line. Very few transfer students were accepted in 2015-I was told less than 10 (2.5% v. 17.5% in 2014). Based on this, and the fact CC is a “hot” school these days (it’s composite acceptance rate has gone from 25% to 17% in three years), selectivity will likely go up yet again for 2016 and transfer acceptances will likely stay below the five year moving average. If CC is what you want, go for it. I would get on campus again in the Fall and meet a couple of professors and talk to them about your areas of interest-at least do a phone interview. Integrate those conversations in your application. Pull out all the stops and set yourself apart in every way you can. Just hedge your bet. Good luck.