Hotels in Birmingham

<p>OMG trying to find a reasonable hotel for the Ole Miss game weekend. I just can’t pay $225 with a 2 night minimum for the Ramada in T-town. Not for a Ramada and HoJo is $189. Anyway now looking to Birmingham since I will be flying out of B’ham Sunday. Any suggestions? I know nothing about B’ham. Should we stay downtown? How is the Drury’s - they had good scores, but only a few reviews and are under $100.</p>

<p>How long will it take to get out of the stadium and where is it likely that we will be parking if we will be driving from B’ham?
Where do people usually eat before the game? At the tailgate? I saw someone on ebay selling tickets to the tailgate? The game time says tbd, I assume it will be 7 PM???</p>

<p>I will then have to work on game tickets and confirm what exactly S will be doing. How is he likely to get from the airport to school since he will be flying in a day early by himself. </p>

<p>Thanks as always for the help. Looking forward to a fun weekend. RTR</p>

<p>We stayed at a lovely Hyatt Place in Hoover. It’s right off 459 and about 45 minutes from campus. We got a rate around $90/night. And there’s a great restaurant called Firebirds in the area where we took D for lunch the next day.</p>

<p>I’ve previously recommended the Greystone Inn and Suites in Vance (Exit 89, $130 per night) and seem to recall Rose808 saying that their family would be staying there that weekend.</p>

<p>As for hotels in the Birmingham area, places in Bessemer, Hoover, or Fairfield would be a reasonable (45 min) drive from campus.</p>

<p>Tailgates are usually private events, so I don’t know how somebody could get tickets for one unless the alumni association is putting on a tailgate.</p>

<p>I forget what UA does to get visiting students to campus. I know that there is a private shuttle service, but if UA has an admissions officer flying in that day, they might work out a carpool or something.</p>

<p>Yes, I booked the Greystone based on SEA_Tide’s recommendation :slight_smile: We’ll be there Nov. 12 & 13th. The room is $149 a night. I called them directly to book it and they told me it was about a 15 minute drive to campus. Now, on a game day that may be a different story.</p>

<p>Is Vance, Hoover, Bessemer or Fairfield in the direction of the airport?</p>

<p>No one has any feedback on the Drury’s in B’ham?</p>

<p>Hoover is a suburb of Birmingham so you’d be in good shape to get to the airport. Bessesmer is about 1/2 way between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham (and is where 459 splits off) so it’s a little farther west than Hoover.</p>

<p>The Marriott properties in B’ham are all solid and reasonable. I’ve found you can buy rewards points and use those to get the hotels for cheaper than it cost to pay cash for game weekends. </p>

<p>Look at the TownePlace Suites in Birmingham/Homewood off I-65 or the Courtyard in Hoover off I-459. SpringHill Suites Colonade is also a good choice. </p>

<p>You can get a double/double at the Courtyard for 10K rewards points per night. 1K rewards points cost $12.50. So a night only cost $125 which includes all taxes. Much cheaper than the $179 list price for the same room on game weekends.</p>

<p>we too stayed at the Hoover Hyatt Place for Parent’s Weekend. We booked through Expedia and did the non-refundable rate and it was only $70 per night. The room was great, we had a living room with a large sectional, wet-bar, gigantic flat screen tv and the most comfortable beds. We were excited because when we went for BamaBound we booked the La Quinta for $60 per night, checked in and checked right back out and stayed at the Capstone.</p>

<p>Thanks, Hoover Hyatt place is $125 plus tax, so you got a good rate for Parents Weekend. Must be a lot of Ole Miss fans going to the game or something.</p>

<p>The Fairfield in Bessemer has some restrictions for Thanksgiving, since it’s the Iron Bowl, so I’m sure it’s the same for homecoming. The Fairfield in Pelham does not have restrictions for Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>If you do want to stay in Birmingham, the Spring Hill Colonnade is very nice. We got an inexpensive Triple A rate when we visited UAB last fall. And the hotel is very nice, good free breakfast, and easy access to the interstate.</p>

<p>I attend a conference every year at the Hilton Perimeter by the Summit in Birmingham, and they have a free shuttle to the airport. It is very close to the Spring Hill Colonnade, also in the Colonnade area, so the Spring Hill shouldn’t be too far from the airport. The Colonnade has some good restaurants to eat at, too, a Greek place, a Mexican place, a Cracker Barrel, and a TGI Fridays. The Summit has a Cheesecake Factory, and some nice shopping, like a Belk and maybe even a Saks, if you’re into that sort of thing. Never been to the Summit, not my thing, but I’ve eaten at the Greek and Mexican restaurant at the Colonnade. Good food and inexpensive. And of course, TGI Friday’s is good for the family.</p>

<p>If I recall correctly, I found a cheaper Hyatt Place rate on Kayak.com, called them and they honored it.</p>

<p>idinct: I have stayed at the Drury’s Southeast that is located off of US 280 and I-459. It was great and really close to the Summit shopping area. Busy area, but lots of eating, shopping, etc.</p>

<p>Greystone is sold out, too bad that was a good distance. May have to consider the Drury’s SE, but its almost an hour away. That’s a lot of commuting back and forth to T-town, but close to the airport which I’m flying out of Sun. H & S are flying out of ATL, saving $250 and no connection.</p>

<p>@Idinct - just wanted to make sure that you called Greystone directly. They showed sold out on the Web site, but when I called they were able to reserve me a room.</p>

<p>No I don’t think I did. I called so many places though, I might have. I will try again.<br>
Tx</p>

<p>Greystone did have availability at $141, but they only had a smoking with a sofabed that could accomodate us. It may be the best we can get. Anyone see the sofabed?</p>

<p>My family stayed at the Marriott TownPlace Suites in Homewood (off I-65/Lakeshore Dr.) for the Penn State/Alabama game weekend. Got nice studio suite for $79 per night, and $135 per night for two bedroom suite with large living room and flatscreen TVs in all rooms. All non-smoking. These rates were not including taxes, and I booked through hotels.com. This hotel is about 15 min. from airport, and roughly an hour to campus.</p>

<p>For future stays in Tuscaloosa, the Holiday Inn Express near Target off McFarland is very nice.</p>

<p>I didn’t see the sofabed at the Greystone. They were able to get my family a roll-away bed and that worked for them. What I would be more concerned about is if your family is fine with a smoking room.</p>

<p>Remember that many hotels open up rooms close to gameday as people do cancel their reservations. For football weekends, it is necessary to call the hotels directly as they often take their room inventory off the internet and sell it only in person or via telephone.</p>

<p>Yeah the smoking room is a concern, but I see that the windows open. I will call back next week. They said most likely only smoking rooms would open up though. They also wouldn’t guarantee a roll- away would be available with the King room- yeah that would be funny.</p>

<p>I was looking for hotels for visiting my sister in Virginia and came across a special that Marriott is having at select Courtyard and Residence Inn properties. It is a 25 percent discount off the room rate. Please check their website for any particulars. I don’t know if this applies only to Marriott Reward members, too, but it’s free and easy to join. It might be worth checking into for any college visits you guys might be taking.</p>