Hotels in Birmingham

<p>I just used priceline.com for the ole miss game. Used “name my own price” option. I bid $51/night and chose the Hoover area and 3 star hotel. Got the Wynfrey!!!WOOHOO I LOVE priceline!</p>

<p>Thanks I will have to try Priceline although it scares me a little. I was just down-sized this afternoon, so the $150+ per night won’t be happening. Unfortunately I booked the air last week, otherwise I would have just sent S down for an overnite. Football is looking less likely. On a positive note, our EFC is likely to drop quite a bit.</p>

<p>I like hotels .com</p>

<p>I’ve used priceline, but never the name your own price.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about the down-sizing. :(</p>

<p>Re…hotels…I don’t think the game time has been set yet, but if the game is at 1:30pm, it gives you some options because you can drive in from a greater distance and return after the game. </p>

<p>I just put in the dates of check in 10-15 and check out 10-17 for Hotels . com for B’ham and got lots of choices…</p>

<p>Oh gosh, with the crisis’ of the last week I haven’t done anything about getting a hotel or football tickets. And now it looks like my H will have to go with him alone. H wants to cancel the trip, but I’ve already bought their plane tickets, so can’t do anything there. So if I want to do priceline - I say B’ham 3 stars and like $51? That will get them somewhere decent?
I will have to hit you all up for info next week on what time they show up for the game, where they should park, where to eat, etc. Great game last night - RTR (well actually it was a little anticlimactic).</p>

<p>ldinct, that’s why I like the Marriott Rewards program. I’ve been able to get a room on points on many occasions, which cuts down the cost of travel. Good luck on your search for a room and sorry about the downsizing, too. Been there, done that. Actually, still there. Thank God for Bama’s scholarships.</p>

<p>Oh, I was assuming that the game was at 7:00- ugh, they could have probably flown home Sat night. This brings up a lot of options. When will we find out about game time. Double ugh- I have them flying home at 1:30 PM Sun, they could have flown home earlier. Oh well.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I don’t think the time has been set yet. so, you couldn’t have chosen an earlier time.</p>

<p>Thanks m2ck,
True, When do they set the time? Wondering if they should stay in Atlanta if the game is at 1:30? It might be cheaper and will be closer to the airport. Do they usually post the time so late?</p>

<p>The times for many games are decided based on the strength/ranking of the teams playing and when the television network would like to show the game. For example, a game like Bama vs. San Jose State would not normally have a 6 PM start time, but since it was Bama’s one pay-per-view game per season, it could have a later start time.</p>

<p>If the Mississippi game turns out to have a 1:30 PM start time, your husband and son would be lucky to get to in Atlanta before 8:30 PM due to gameday traffic and the time zone change. In order to catch a flight out of BHM or ATL, you’d be wanting an 11:00 AM or earlier start time.</p>

<p>As for Priceline, you would need to select which area of Birmingham you’d like to stay in, choose the quality level, and name your price (taxes and fees are added to your bidding price). A quick look at hotel prices for that weekend shows that many Birmingham hotels have rooms available for $60 or less per night (plus tax).</p>

<p>I’m very sorry that you got downsized and also that you can’t come down for the Ole Miss game. I’m quite sure that there will be tickets available from private sellers on gameday should your husband and son decide to go to the game.</p>

<p>Thanks ST,
Their flight is booked out of Atlanta for Sun afternoon, not changing that. I was thinking to have them stay in Atlanta Sat nite if the game was a 1:30, that way perhaps they could do some site seeing around Atlanta Sunday morning.
So you don’t think I even think I need to use Priceline then? What area in Birmingham should we stay in?
With an earlier game time, I could probably have flown them out of b’ham Sat nite and the hotel savings might have made up for the more expensive air fare, but C’est la vie.</p>

<p>According to this, the Ole Miss game will be at either 5, 6 or 8:00 pm. </p>

<p>[Alabama-Ole</a> Miss on Oct. 16 will be on ESPN2 or ESPNU - Birmingham Alabama Crimson Tide | Examiner.com](<a href=“http://www.examiner.com/alabama-crimson-tide-in-birmingham/alabama-ole-miss-on-oct-16-will-be-on-espn2-or-espnu]Alabama-Ole”>http://www.examiner.com/alabama-crimson-tide-in-birmingham/alabama-ole-miss-on-oct-16-will-be-on-espn2-or-espnu)</p>

<p>Psych, got 2 tickets for the Ole Miss game on ebay. $122 for two- that’s not too bad. They are in the serious nosebleed section though. Is SS the student section? At least we got 'em and didn’t have to pay too much. I know we could have probably gotten them outside the stadium on game day, but didn’t want to take the chance. RTR</p>

<p>SS is the upper deck and includes the upper deck part of the student section. IIRC, sections SS-6 and above are reserved seating, while SS-5 and below are student seating.</p>

<p>They are ss-8 which sounds like the tippy top. But it should be fun to be near the students. I assume there are giant screens or something so you don’t need binoculars. How long does it take to get up there?</p>

<p>Finally found game time on the Ole Miss site as rolltide.com was still showing tbd. It’s 8 PM. H better have a nap. I’m not sure how far to make them drive on the way to Atlanta since they lose an hour along the way. S is a night owl but he can’t drive the rental. I was hoping to get them closer to Atlanta as S wants to visit a friend at Emory before catching their 1:40 flight. Probably best to book the hotel in B’ham for two nights then. They will have to get an early start as I’m sure it’s at least a 3 hour drive.</p>

<p>Google is showing a 3.5 hour drive to the Atlanta from Tuscaloosa, which would increase if they left right after a football game. An 8 PM start time means that the game will be ending around 11 PM. In reality, your family could forgo staying somewhere Saturday night (driving to ATL after the game would have them arriving around 4 AM EDT), though I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that.</p>

<p>I’ve driven from ATL to Tuscaloosa several times in the past few months. It takes me exactly 3 hours of driving to get there. Of course I may drive a bit faster than most :-)</p>

<p>I’d estimate 3 1/2 hours from ATL to Tuscaloosa and 2 1/2 from Birmingham to ATL for the average driver.</p>