Hotels near UM for UScholars/Open House weekend

<p>Just found out about the University Scholars and Open House weekend (Apr 5 & 6) and trying to find a hotel. Not an easy task!! Coral Gables is ridiculously expensive and no UM rates left and Holiday Inn UMiami (across the street) and several others are totally booked. Any ideas for a nice, clean < $200 hotel < 10 miles away?</p>

<p>miami dadeland (sp?) thats where the singer interviewees are staying that weekend</p>

<p>Any Dadeland hotel will do, it's just south of UM. If you go on Expedia and choose the South Miami area, you will get several resonable hotels not far from the school. There is a Hampton Inn, Courtyard, Best Miami Hotel, Ramada, etc.</p>

<p>Thanks. Will give those a try. I guess there are several thousand people converging on Miami that weekend? All incoming freshman and transfers?</p>

<p>Just in case anyone else is trying to find lodging near UM--Doubletree Coconut Grove, Marriott Miami Dadeland, and Ramada Dadeland have no rooms available. Hampton Inn Dadeland, Courtyard Dadeland have smoking rooms only. I am still trying!!</p>

<p>let me know if you find one. im trying to find one and im not having any luck!</p>

<p>i booked a room at the crowne plaza</p>

<p>is this open house for every accepted freshman?</p>

<p>I found the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove and Comfort Suites Miami Kendall. Coconut Grove is closer to UM but also more expensive. Not sure about either area C Grove or Kendall.
Wonder what UM plans to do about parking?? We will check out of the hotel on Sunday, the day of Open House and will have to park somewhere!</p>

<p>Coconut Grove is a great area to stay. I'm not sure where the Hampton Inn is but the CocoWalk area is full of shopping, restaurants and outdoor cafes. It is a big UM hangout and a great place to walk around and go to dinner. We love to stay in the Grove and walk to Le Buchon for breakfast.
Coconut</a> Grove BIC</p>

<p>Another area to check out while you are all in town is Sunset Place, another UM hangout. It is a great outdoor mall with movie theaters and lots of places to eat. Don't let the outside fool you, it doesn't look like much from the road, but it is very nice inside.
Simon</a> Malls | More Choices — The Shops at Sunset Place Information, The Shops at Sunset Place Gift Cards</p>

<p>Kendall is a little farther out, but if the price is right, you will be fine there.</p>

<p>UM will have parking for the Open House. Have a great visit.</p>

<p>Thanks My3sons for all your info!!
I think we will stay in C grove so S can see the whole picture. Do you have kids there?</p>

<p>My middle son is a junior, microbiology and immunology major. He, and we, have loved our experiences at UM. Good luck, let us know how the visit goes.</p>

<p>Just be aware that the Hampton Inn /Coconut Grove is not IN the grove...its actually right off of US 1, so you wouldn't be within walking distance.</p>

<p>We always stay at the Hampton Inn/Dadeland - less congested down there and its one of the only hotels where you can self park (I hate not having access to my car!).</p>

<p>Can you walk from the Holiday Inn to campus? Or is there a shuttle of some sort? My dh and d will be there without a rental car.</p>

<p>My S and I went to the open house for accepted students last weekend and stayed at the Sonesta Bayfront in Coconut Grove. The room was about $200 with UM rates and it was just beautiful. We had a large balcony with a gorgeous view of the bay. There’s a rooftop deck with a pool and restaurant. Breakfast was reasonably priced and one was free with the UM package. Also, if you go on the hotel’s website and register for their College Club, you get free parking. With 2 queen beds we were able to share a room to keep the cost down. It’s 2 blocks from the CocoWalk complex where we had dinner and a movie, and a 10 min. ride to campus. </p>

<p>We had a great time and S loved the school and town. He just enrolled for biomedical engineering :)</p>

<p>mtpaper - the Coral Gables Holiday Inn is right across the street from campus. It’s a very busy street but you can definitely and easily walk to campus from there. There’s also a restaurant just a little way down the street called Smoke’t that I highly recommend if you’re on foot!</p>

<p>@mpwmom - thank you for the info. Most of their meetings will be at Frost, so this should all work out very well, even without a car.</p>

<p>Congrats on Frost - awesome music school! Have a great trip…</p>