Houseing help for Aussie exchange student

<p>Hi everyone,
I am 3rd year from Sydney coming to Wisconsin for the fall semester. I am currently looking for a place to call home for the 6 months i'll be in Madison. I can't stay in university resident halls. So it seems that private dorms is my only option (as far as i know). Im looking for a laid back, friendly place, where the people know how to have fun. I was thinking of going to 'The Towers', but have read a lot of posts saying that its full of snotty superficial east coast yuppies. I have no interest in hanging out with this type, so I was wondering if I could get some suggestions. What about 'The Saxony'?
Any help would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Saxony is an older well located apartment project. Many students live there. There also are many shared housing arrangements which will be listed all over campus and various lists. Love the east coast yuppie stereotyping–so open-minded of you.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t fault him for thinking that. The school earned that reputation for a reason. It wasn’t made up out of thin air.</p>

<p>Thanks Barron. I think I will settle on Saxony.
In regards to my stereotyping. I’m not saying all people from the East Coast are yuppies. So far everyone ive met from the east coast have been great. I’m from Sydney where there are plenty of yuppies, some of which are my friends. But there is one thing I can’t stand, and that people judging others by how much money they (or their parents) have. My parents could be considered well off, but I consider it pretty pathetic to talk about money or wealth. I don’t know if I could handle living with people who make a big deal out of it. I’m only going by posts other people have made on the forum. I realize that this is only one side of the story and could be largely exaggerated (i hope so). But ‘the towers’ has consistently been bad-mouthed, so I don’t want to risk staying there.
Any towers residents want to say otherwise?</p>

<p>The Towers is no longer even a private dorm. It was converted to just regular apartments like Saxony as the Lucky took away their market. I’m a proud east coaster myself (but not rich then) and had friends in the Towers. Most are just like anyone else. They just dress and act east coast which is different from midwestern. A little faster and more in your face. Different accent.</p>

<p>Ewwwww be careful, the saxony is an absolute DUMP. You’re paying way too much for a slum.</p>

<p>Aaargh! Such a hard choice. So Saxony is a dump. Hmmmm. Ive lived in dumps before and its not a big deal, but Towers does seem a lot nicer and doesn’t cost too much more. I’ve given it a bit of thought and I think some of the criticisms ive read of the towers are likely from disgruntled ex-residents and are probably exaggerated. I think ill give these ‘easties’ a chance. It seems like they’re more like Sydneysiders (who apparently have a reputation for being cold, but you just have to get around that and they’re fine).
Thanks for the advice everyone. Its really good to speak with people who actually know what the deal is. Maybe ill see you around Campus, just look out for the Aussie accent :P</p>