Housing Advice for 2023 Ags

Thank you for the info! So are you allowed to apply for housing if you are accepted, but not sure if you will be attending? We are in the same situation, waiting for other college acceptances before making a final decision.

@Dbro I’m not sure about the apartments, but for the dorms, you can apply for housing by paying $75, non-refundable. This gets you a spot in line to pick a room in the spring. If you decide not to live in a dorm or you go to a different university(?), you still need to let TAMU know by May(?) that you want to cancel the contract. This is new to me but have read this other places and have also just applied for housing and read the housing contract. Good Luck in your journey!

Thank you! Good luck to you too!:slight_smile: @Eggscapgoats

@Dbro The last date to accept/decline admissions to universities is May 1. So no matter where you are accepted, once you formally accept admissions somewhere, you should then go back to all of the universities you were accepted to, you need to decline the admissions offer. Letting the date pass without formally declining does not send them the message that you are not attending.

A friend’s son is applying to transfer to A&M for fall 2019. Are transfers eligible to get on the list for on-campus housing? Does he have any real chance for housing?

To anyone, i have a couple of questions. In order for my son to link up in a dorm with his friend, do both of them have to sign up for Roommate finder?

Any suggestions on order of rank for the four commons dorms? Mosher was renovated most recently, so i assume it’s the most desirable of the four. How would you rank the other three?

I’m not that familiar with transfer rules, but on page 10 of this transfer guide (https://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-pubs/transfer.pdf), it says, “You have the option to live on or off campus in a variety of housing styles. On-campus housing registration is made available after you are admitted to the university.”

Not all of Mosher was renovated; my student was assigned one of the old rooms this year. I don’t know if they plan on renovating the rest of the rooms this summer or not. I really don’t think it matters much which dorm they pick. They will be all over campus with their classes. Having a good roommate is the important part, IMO.

I’m wondering what opinion people have of the Moses/Schuhmacher/Keathley dorms. They are cheaper than the Modular and Common halls but seem older.

Thanks for the replies @chercheur

@bemart14 they were old when I went there in 89! But the commons in general has been remodeled in the common area. It’s really nice. The dorm rooms are very small with a bathroom that you share with another room. Students are rarely in their room and there is plenty of space, but definitely smaller than modulars and hullabaloo.

The Balcony halls of Schumacher, Fowler, Hughes and Keathly were remodeled on 2014. Keathly is a Global LLC and rooms left after LLC room selection will be open. Schumacher, Flowler and Hughes offer single, double and “apartment” style with a shared bedroom, a small living room, kitchenette, and private small bath. The single and double rooms have their own sink in room and suite-mates share the toilet and shower. The rooms are smaller and you have to be creative for storage.

The commons halls remodeling will be complete in Summer 19. First floor of Mosher was complete Fall 2016. The commons area where now there is a dining hall, study rooms and all kinds of stuff opened fall 2017 after a two year gut and completely rebuilt. My son lived there first year due to LLC and it was fine. 4 people share a big bathroom. The counter his huge and sharing was never an issue. The toilet area had it’s own door/lock.

My son now keeps less clothes at school. The more he has, the less often he does laundry. Then when you need to do laundry, it is way too much and you are doing it forever. Another thing is that it is fun to decorate and accumulate things over time and it doesn’t seem like much when you do it bit by bit. But everything you take has to leave.Residence hall residents are expected to check out (either express or with an RA) within 24 hours of the last university final (Thursday at 5:30pm). If a resident needs to stay after 5:30pm on Thursday, then they must complete an Late Stay Request. The Residence Hall’s Community Director (CD) or Graduate Hall Director (GHD) will respond to the resident via e-mail shortly after their request is submitted to approve or deny the request.

I cannot login into the housing portal as it says the session timed out. I was offered w3 pathways today, and selected blinn academy at bryan. Would I have to wait until I have 6 tabs?

@learner234 you can’t paying housing deposit until you’re full fledged, with 6 tabs etc.

So I just called the housing office because I was confused on a bunch of the dates. My son has signed up for the Engineering LLC @ the Commons. When you go into the housing portal it says that the roommate selector was open but I couldn’t find it anywhere. The housing office said that because he applied for an LLC, the roommate selector wouldn’t be available for him until he hears back about his LLC. The housing portal says he will not hear back on the LLC until mid April, but other dorm room selection starts in March. The housing office confirmed those dates and said if he doesn’t get into an LLC, he would select his non-LLC room in May. Not ideal in my opinion. However, the lady I talked to asked what LLC he had applied to and I told her Engineering @ the Commons and she said not to worry there won’t be a problem getting into that LLC. So I guess I won’t worry.

@miaggie1 I am next to postive that isn’t correct. Only dorm selection going on currently is for current students. Unless they have changed things drastically, freshman dorm selection doesn’t start until May. I don’t know anything about LLC, but incoming freshman time slots are historically given out in mid-late April, and those time slots don’t start until May.
The Roommate Finder just opened yesterday, and people who have put down housing deposit have until April 30 to cancel. Lots of kids waiting to hear from schools who don’t give decisions until April, so I can’t imagine they are opening housing in March? Something doesn’t make sense…

@52AG82 It didn’t make sense to me either so that is why I called. If you look at the next steps at the end of the housing application it says:

Mid/Late-February *postponed from Early/Mid Feb.

Roommate selector will open fully so students can pair with each other
Room selection will open for students to start self-selecting their room/apartment on campus
Access will be granted in a tiered format by earliest application complete date and housing status (permanent housing before temporary housing & September applicants before Oct. and Nov. applicants
FYI: Most students who apply after Nov. 1st will not get into Hullabaloo Hall right away
Students have the option to change their housing assignment as many times as they would like to do so throughout the summer pending room availability

Mid- April

Deadline for all students offered Living Learning Community acceptance to reply to their LLC and accept and/or decline the offer
Students offered acceptance and agreed to participate in the LLC will be auto-assigned to the reserved bed spaces across campus for their respective Living Learning Community
Filling out the lifestyle questions is vital to us pairing you with someone who is a good/great match

As I read more closely, a better question would have been, when will we hear that he is accepted to an LLC. The April timeframe is the deadline to accept the LLC.

@miaggie1 thanks for that! I looked on TAMU Housing webpage, but it doesn’t say any of that, only refers you to the portal (that is totally my daughters thing). So it seems maybe they have upped the dates some, from previous years?!
I’ll tell her to start checking Howdy often, for updates. She did apply/put housing deposit down in September, and joined Roommate Finder yesterday.

My second year son was home this weekend and has decided to squat in his existing apartment at White Creek but logged on to check out what rooms were still available and I was shocked to see how many of the available rooms a week ago are now gone. Now I am sure housing probably reserves rooms in some dorms for freshman but if you had your hopes up for Hullabulloo I would come up with some second choices. When he logged on 5 or 6 days ago there was a long list of rooms open in Hullabulloo including singles but none at all now.

@pbleigh surely they have blocked rooms for incoming freshman?!?!?

@52AG82 I am sure they have blocked off some rooms for freshman but I also know that there was a long list of rooms available 6 days ago that are completely gone now, so that dorm will have only whats been blocked off for LLC and freshman left, so very competitive.