Housing Advice for 2023 Ags

@pbleigh Can you give us an idea of how this works once it opens for incoming freshmen? Will students see just room #s available? Or a floor plan?

@agtrio23 if you haven’t taken a dorm tour, you need to. They explain it well. In a nutshell, they tell you picking a dorm bed is like selecting a seat on an airplane. Every single dorm room-that’s available- shows up. Everyone says selecting a bed/dorm is easily the most hectic 10 minutes ever. You need multiple dorm choices, as beds disappear before your eyes.
The student is given an assigned dorm selection time, later this spring. Be ready!

@agtrio23 You go back into the housing application and it will bring you to the page for room selection. When you click to start that you will see a list of all the buildings with available rooms with pictures of the buildings next to each one. When you select a particular building it will list by floorplan each available room by room number. So for example it might say !BR/1BA and then a room number or 2BR/1BA with room number and available beds in room. So you will not see a pictorial of the floorplan but each of the rooms will be grouped by floorplan, so you should research those before the window starts.

@pbleigh @52AG82 I’m a details person but wasn’t really paying attention to this part last summer when we took our dorm tour! I’m a former TAMU student but first time college parent, so I absolutely appreciate the advice. Thank you for the explanation @pbleigh

@agtrio23 my daughter will be a freshman, and we’re pretty stressed over the dorm selection.
Be sure your student signs up for Roommate Finder, unless they plan on going total pot lock.

@agtrio23 Very welcome, I remember what it was like! You can see all the floorplans on this tamu webpage https://reslife.tamu.edu/options/
Just select on the right of the page, dorms or apartments, and then the building you want to see the floor plan for. Also I would suggest picking something quickly and then going back in because you can swap your room as many times as you like during your window and rooms go by very fast for freshman. So for example, say you select a room and finish the process. You can them go right back into the housing application and it will display the room assigned and there will be a button to the right that says “Room Swap.” If you click that button you will see the same list of available buildings and be able to look at the available rooms. If you do not select any room, the assigned room does not change; so there is no disadvantage to looking.

Does anyone know where to find floor maps for the residence halls? The kind that shows which rooms are where on the floor, so when we are looking at room, say room number 425 (making this up), we can tell it’s on the SE side of the building, mid-way down the hall, etc. All I can find is the “floor plan” that shows one room’s layout. My Google searches have come up empty. (And, no, it’s not that big of a deal. I’m a frequent traveler and someone who likes to do research–I am more curious than nervous or particular.)

@daleNchip I believe for safety reasons they do not publish them anymore but you can find a few videos and presentations that contain that information for some buildings on the internet.

So is white creek worth it if I’m going to be in engineernig? I am in the engineering academy at blinn-bryan so I was wondering if living in white creek would be along the blinn college bus route, and if it was close enough to the engineering building on tamu campus, since half of my classes are going to be there. @AggieMomhelp

@learner234 White Creek is on West Campus. There are a couple of buses. Be prepared to walk though as all students have to walk from bus stop to buildings. Zachary is on University Drive (same street White Creek is on) but on main campus side. You can take a bus to the MSC and hoof it or to Sbisa (probably closer to zachary).

As for Rellis, there’s only one bus I see that goes there and it starts and stops at the MSC to Rellis and back. Check out the tamu transportation interactive bus schedule. Honestly, I don’t think anything is too far. It’s all about the planning!

@learner234 have you been to White Creek, to know exactly where it is? It is only super convenient to Mays and health buildings. You would have to bike, drive or bus to all others buildings/cross the RR tracks, but there are definitely buses that run on that side of campus.
No idea about anything Blinn Bryan.
You will need several housing options in mind, as I’m sure White Creek is popular and may fill up quickly, with those that have early Housing selection spots. They are newish, and have a new cafeteria facility.

FYI @52ag82 and @Learner234 You don’t have to bike over the tracks, that’s old school, lol… they now have a tunnel with easy access and super safe. Ag is also on West Campus. The buses pick up all the time there and will deposit you all over campus.

@AggieMomhelp good to know there’s a tunnel-the only tunnel I’ve ever noticed is by Kyle Field. My daughter is Mays, so she’ll be spending a lot of time over there.

@52AG82 Yes, very safe. Buses go under there too but walkers and bikers have their own path coming and going. It’s in front of kleberg building and pops out at the Albritton tower by Simpson Drill field. And your daughter will probably end up studying at West Campus Library. It’s my son’s favorite.

@AggieMomhelp So what’s the difference between blinn college and rellis on the map? Aren’t all the academy classes held at rellis?

There’s also a bus that takes your to Blinn Bryan. Totally different campus.

@AggieMomhelp So are the engineering classes held at rellis or blinn bryan?

Rellis… all TEAM and TEAB classes are on the Rellis campus. You will not go to the Bryan campus.

My son has a friend who just submitted his application for transfer for Fall 2019. My son would like to room with him, but I’m wondering about the timing/duration of the transfer application process. Assuming his transfer application is approved, any thoughts on whether his application will be approved in time for my son to select him as a roommate? I think my son should have a pretty early dorm selection window since he signed his housing contract early morning of September 20. I’m doubtful that the timing is going to work out.

@camandcam I am not sure when transfer students get to select housing… I wouldn’t think they would have much earlier, if at all, than freshman. Freshman selection is in May, so your son’s friend should have an answer by then. You son can pull one person with him into a dorm (once they are linked on roommate finder).