Housing Advice for 2023 Ags

If anyone was in my daughter’s situation(notified of acceptance Sept 19, housing deposit paid Sept 19, and all application components completed Sept 19), I just got a response to my email to reslife this morning. They stated they do not know why she wasn’t notified of her time slot, but her time slot is the first wave May 8 5pm. So, maybe there was a system crash.

@sweeney1996 That’s bizarre! So glad you asked! When my son didn’t receive an email or AIS letter confirming his acceptance to engineering after 3 months, we finally asked about it, and the letter showed up in both places the next day. Never hurts to ask!

Anyone have any opinions/advice on the Southside halls: Modular style versus Commons style? Advantages and disadvantages of each?

Mine just finished freshman year in The Commons (Krueger). On the whole, she liked it.
Pros: lots of stuff in building (cafeteria, post office, study help center, game room, store). With all the rain this year that was nice.
Cons: small rooms. Suite style so share bathroom (4).

Mine went pot luck. We encouraged the suite style as figured with 3 other people (roommate & 2 suite mates) that she would have something in common with at least one of them. All the girls got along well enough and respected each other. They did not hang out together all the time, but usually someone around to go eat with, study with, etc. (Key there is if something is bothering you speak up!). Moving off campus next year into a 4 bed/2 bath. She is so excited (and appreciative) to have her own room and be sharing bath with just one other person!

@Tuppence22 great info. I found with girls that it is definitely better for them to not be super close like besties. Gives them a good sounding board and less drama. And the most important thing is respect.

Is she living with any of the next year?

@AggieMomhelp - no. Next year she is living with a very good high school friend and another girl that they met at FISH camp last year and remained friends with. Did not live with high school friend this year as girl was in an Engineering program and did not get to choose roommate. Worked out well as she was also in The Commons and they got to introduce each other to friends they made. Using apartment matching for 4th spot. Fortunately the high school friend is a different major and they are both involved with different groups, so although they r close they have a variety of friends.

@sweeney1996 Thank you for sharing that. Good thing you double checked! I am so anxious to get this housing stuff situated. The original time frame they gave to send an email was until tomorrow, but I think we got an email extending it. We did not pay housing deposit until end of November, so not sure how long it will take to get notified.

Submitted housing mid Oct. Recv’d housing selection email yesterday. Time slot is May 15 @ 5pm. hoping for modular on Northside.

Any opinions for floor (1st, 2nd, 3rd floor, etc), location in hall (e.g. beginning, middle, end of hall), corner room, etc? Any other considerations?

@CamandCam Commons share 4 ppl per bathroom, Modulars are 2 per bathroom. Modulars are bigger; some even bigger than others.

Whatever your student gets… it will be okay. It’ll be a blessing in a way you or they may not see or appreciate at first, but I would say a high percentage of students have great experiences even if/when they get something they don’t want. It’s perspective. It’s okay to be uncomfortable… especially freshman year. By October they will already be looking ahead to sophomore living. Unless roomie is crazy, it all works out. Trust it!!!

When mine picked last year (fairly early as put down deposit late September) we found that a lot of rooms on 1st & 2nd floors were reserved for “learning” groups. Ended up on 3rd floor. Other than move-in and move out (doing today) the 3rd floor of Kruegar was good. They were redone 2 years ago.

@52AG82 what did your daughter end up getting?

Where can floor plans be found for the dorms? Not floor plans of individual rooms, but for the entire dorm that shows the room numbers?

kind of an urgent question: does anyone know if staying in white creek is convenient for anyone in the blinn-bryan engineering academy?

@learner234 White Creek is on-campus housing (located West Campus, across the tracks, near Mays).
I believe Blinn-Bryan Engineering meets at RELLIS campus, which is 15-20 minutes from TAMU. I doubt there are direct buses that pick up around White Creek, that go directly to RELLIS (I could be wrong, but I think you have to pick up those buses around MSC/central campus).
You might ask on TAMU Transportation Page.
There is no campus housing near RELLIS.

@52AG82 is correct on all counts. White creek is easy to get to your car because you are guaranteed parking by white creek. Then you jump on university drive and head straight to Rellis on that road. It’s probably the best on campus housing option if you’re driving your own car to rellis. Otherwise, buses pick up at Msc and near Zachary building.

Has anyone had experience with the double room apartment rooms in Schumacher Hall? If so are they a good option for a blind-teab engineering student?

Regarding early move in, the housing portal offers two options: (1) to move in early in fall 2019 and (2) to move in early in spring 2020. If you select only fall early move in now, do you still have the option later to choose spring early move in? Or do you have to decide on both semesters now?

@CamandCam I would assume move-in early for spring would be for new, incoming students; otherwise regular students are just coming back from the holidays? That would be my interpretation.