Housing at San Diego State

Hi there,
I’m hoping maybe someone might be able to help me understand housing for freshman at SDSU. My son was just recently accepted and will likely attend. However, I don’t totally understand how dorm selection works at SDSU. He isn’t too hung up on joining an LLC. He would prefer to select a dorm over an LLC, but if the surfing or business LLCs were housed in dorms that he liked, he would be more willing to join.

Do the students get to select (or at least attempt to rank preferences) for their dorms? From what I can see, they can select their preference of double/triple/quad, but I don’t see anything about selecting an actual building. Does anyone understand what options are available and how likely the kids are to get their preferences?

Thank you!

First-year students can submit and indicate their room type interests, but are not able to indicate specific building interests.

Some LLC’s have permanent building assignments such as the Weber’s Honors students that are housed in Zura. Depending upon how many students sign up for specific LLC’s that will be the determining factor of which building they will be housed.

If he has an interest in an LLC, then he should rank the LLC’s of interest.

Just fyi that this past year, many Freshman who stated a preference for a Double ended up in a Triple or Quad. The 2022 enrollment numbers were at an all-time high, which may explain some of that, but I’m not sure if anyone knows with certainty whether the 2023 enrollment will continue at that level.

Either way, one should be prepared that the room size preference has a decent chance of not happening.

3 Likes

I can attest to this. My daughter listed double, quad, triple… thinking a quad might be slightly larger, which it is, but not by much. She also factored in that 4 people together is better than 3. No odd man out thinking. She’s in a quad.

Also, she focused so much on which dorm is better, but she says they all have advantages and disadvantages. Keep in mind the year goes by so quickly!

Congratulations to your son!

Thank you all for the feedback. My son will ultimately be fine with anything, but it helps to be prepared. I think he would also prefer a quad to a triple so will likely rank double, quad, triple.

My D is home for a quick break this weekend and we were going over next year’s housing options. It truly goes so fast! She’s had some drama, this second semester with roommates, but has made some amazing friends to room with next year. There’s truly no science to what’s best, but it somehow all works out. If you have any questions about 1st year, ask away.

1 Like

Thanks for info…Do you get to choose roommates ?

If you have friends you want to room with, yes you can choose them. See below the housing information:

If you would like to live with a particular roommate(s), you may join a roommate group. You may also search for roommates with shared interests. Roommate groups may be two (2) or three (3) people only. As a majority of rooms are triple-occupancy, please be aware that roommate groups of two (2) may be assigned a third roommate. If you are interested in having a roommate group of four (4) in a quad room, please email ohacontracts@sdsu.edu. In the email, please copy all roommates and provide their full names and RedID numbers.
All roommates must mutually confirm room placement with each other. To accommodate roommate requests, each student in the roommate group must have the same room type and learning community interests. If you do not wish to form a roommate group, Housing Staff will assign your roommate(s) based on your answers to the lifestyle questions indicated on the Housing Portal.